Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

The Rain in Spain

SPAIN | Tuesday, 20 January 2009 | Views [505] | Comments [3]

It rained yesterday.  The clouds made for a pleasantly warm coat around the earth, and I was very comfortable in just my one jacket (instead of five layers).  I went with Swayni to her University to just be around school-ish things again.  I went into her classroom that was also a studio with a three-camera set-up, attached to a production room of double monitors and editing equipment...oh, I do miss it.  I sat in her caferteria for a while just writing and watching the rain. 

So I am sharing a room with Swayni in her three-bedroom apartment where her cousin, Isabella, and their friend also from the DR who we call El Chino, or just Chino (get this, he is not only Dominican, a mixed race, but is also half Chinese).  And this weekend I went with Swayni to her friend's place where we met up with three other Dominicans, her classmates.  So, I basically came to Spain to re-visit the DR.  Hahaha.  Just now as I was writing this, there was a guy on a mega-phone down on the street announcing that he has goods on sale--MUCH like in the DR where guys with trucks with loads of bananas (for example) with a big megaphone would announce "Guineos! Guineos!"

I am going to the Museo del Prado today between 6 and 8, when it is free as Swayni so kindly brought to my attention today.  There is a lot to see, and though two hours isn't a whole lot of time for the Prado, I can go back every day...for free!  And free is good.  Free is better.

I'm helping Swayni with an editing project for Premiere (this, btw, brings out the geek in me).  She is taking a genre class (I tried to sneak in, but her private university won't let me...boo), and she has a topic of dolls in horror movies.  This is not my favorite.  But hey, she is letting me stay at her place for free, feeds me once in a while, and provides a great wealth of coffee, and not to mention a bed to sleep in...I can deal with the evil dolls.  She has clips from all sorts of sources including Chucky and Poltergeist (honestly, I close my eyes sometimes when she shows me some parts) AND from It.  And IT is NOT ok.  We all knew it, and I will say it again, and will say it lots of times more in my life, but Stephen King is a twisted fellow.  If clowns have fangs, it is NOT OK! 

On to more pleasant things...There are patches of blue sky today ("Let us chase it!") and I am going to finish my book (Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert--a must read if you have not already).  Possibly upload pictures today (again, not since five countries ago did I do this).  Possibly find a new book (any recs?).  Then go to the Prado.  I was looking up some of the artists and works found there, and it was like looking up old friends!  I remember studying this stuff back in the stone-age days of college...HAHAHAHAHA...I joke, I kid...I am NOT that old...really, not.  As Ms. Gilbert so wisely writes, "How old do you feel?  What else matters, really?"

Ms. Gilbert has a lot of funny, poignant, beautiful things to write about when it comes to traveling to far off and mystical countries.  This one going out is for Erica, because she knows exactly how I feel...haha... "You such a pretty girl, you have good capital of nice face, nice body, nice smile.  But always you wear this same broken T-shirt, same broke jeans.  Don't you want to be sexy...?"  LOL!!!  My life in a nutshell, folks.  Er, in a backpack.

Oh, today is January 20.  God bless our President--outgoing, and incoming!!!

Comments

1

i almost bought that book... now i will def have to read it! :)

isn't it crazy that a year ago, we still lived in D23 at the boondockers!?!

  shell Jan 21, 2009 6:50 AM

2

I will have to put Eat, Pray, Love on my list... I had heard it was good. I just bought "Captivating" and some book on understanding men's resistance to Christianity and how to reach the men you love for Christ... I also plan on buying "Authentic Beauty" and "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World"

I'm setting out to read a lot of books that will help in our new curriculum at the pregnancy center... so in addition to the few I mentioned already I'll likely end up reading "When God Writes Your Love Story" and a few others like that also.

I sure miss you sister. I'm starting a Bible study with some friends and I sure wish you were here so I could invite you to join us. We're gonna start with something easy... End Time Prophecy... LOL... so, nothing too hard-core or disputed/controversial or anything... HAHAHA...

  "Sister" Jan 21, 2009 1:13 PM

3

I was glued to my TV today watching every channel and all the news coverage I could about President Obama. Today really does ring in a new era for our nation. May God bless President Obama and give him the strength and wisdom he will need to lead our country.

On another equally important note -- It was really GREAT chatting with you the other day. Funny...you have to be in Spain for us to chat online with one another; when we have only always been just a few minutes drive from one another - in San Jose and Anaheim!?! What is all that about? We'll get better...promise!

I miss you. Take care and enjoy. Love you....

  Gina Montecastro Jan 21, 2009 3:49 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.