Existing Member?

Lauren's Space "Shenonkablonk."

LONDON!!!

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 2 July 2008 | Views [560]

heyyyyyy

Firstly, we had a great trip over here. my boyfriend Parci and I travelled Qantas and the plane to singapore was extremely comfortable. we departed from perth around 12:20pm, arrived in singapore 6pm, and then were told our flight was delayed. so we were allowed to move onto another flight which was leaving at 12:30pm (our original flight was supposed to leave at 11pm but had been delayed until 1:15am). this flight was more crowded, small, less comfortable, etc. there was a boy who sat next to parci and i had window seat. this boy next to parci drank coke and fidgeted NON STOP the whole flight!! whole 13hours! (he slept for the last 20minutes). and the kid behind ME had a cast on his broken arm and was constantly banging it on the chair and kicking me. i got my revenge though. when his meal came and he kept kicking me, i hit my chair backwards ^^. then i looked around a bit and saw his mum staring at me evilly. he was a pain though. he kept talking. and so did his mum. when we were flying over london they were like oh look! theres this and that blah blab bloop and they were totally wrong anyway. we finally landed in heathrow airport after circling for 20minutes so another plane could land. then i got stuck with the kid and his mum behind me in the queue.

SO

we arrived in london 12 hours ago now and since then we have: spent ages in line at heathrow to get passport stamped, wandered thru heathrow and guards were too lazy to scan our luggage or see what we had to declare so we carried on through, then found the underground trainstation, then spent half an hour finding out what train station to go to, bought tickets, got on train, got squished, could not breathe, wondered why train kept suddenly stopping in middle of nowhere, got off at gloucester station. THEN we saw only stairs and asked a lady if there was a lift nearby. she ignored us and kept walking. so we asked a little old lady and she said that to get to te lift u had to go halfway up the stairs first (these british folks are weird). so we hauled (well, parci hauled) the luggage up the stairs. due to parcis inuilt GPS system in his brain, he found the hotel. but we were 5 hours too early for check in. now this place we are staying at is cheap. and when we sat on couches waiting patientlyish, we heard heaps of ppl complaining. no hot water, bad room, not what they ordered, 4 single beds in one room instead of one double bed etc etc
BUT! Our spirits were only slightly dampened! adventure yes? anyhoo, we wandered around for a few hours. we went to hyde park and i saw different birds. white swans! they look snooty to me. i like black ones ^^  and there are so many geese! and the magpies here have blue on their wings like our ducks do. AND THEN i spotted a sqirrel, and parci took pictures of it and we got pretty close.

Then we returned to check in. we show our reference number etc AAAAAAND the manager is like, oh sorry, we are fully booked so we only have a double bed room with no toilet or bathroom, OR a room with four single beds with toilet and bathroom. so we were like "..." and went to look at the rooms. double bed room= TINY and no tv reception. the other room had the beds unmade and the mattresses were badly sunken in in the middle and the shower was like, 30cm by 30cm. then we go back and say we booked in advance and we should have had our room reserved etc and he says 'oh! i have idea for you two! i make special arrangement and make it so u get an en suite room ith single beds! i pull many strings blah blah blah" and we were like, 'ye ok but this is what we booked anyway.' then the suck up employee there was telling us that his manager had gone to great efort to get us this room and we must know this.
i think the staff here is all indian. parci says theyre pakistanianssssss. OOOOOOO i saw the kazakstan embassy today. they spell stuff sooooooooooo weird. they had four or five I's in a row in a word. it was like, JIIIIIKTJIII and then an upside down L. their words made more sense when read upside down.

after we checked in and had showered, we went for a walk around london. we went to starbucks and had a small hot chocolate each and they were HUGE! very good as well though.
then we walked into various restaurants and fast food joints comparing prices. then spent about two hours walking around a different side of london and it was quite nice. it was quieter and i found a cool mug i wanted to buy but it was £20!!! it was really tall and skinny and had flowers and square shaped bees. and another mug was a funny shape and had pictures of london. later on, we went and ate at KFC and it really is SO much better here than in the ones iv been to in OZ. the food was nowehre near as oily in this one and the girl who served us was friendly. it took us a while to find the coins we needed and she saw some of parcis singaporean coins and got very excited and asked to show them to her friend who worked at the till next to her.
when we had finished eating, we went into a small tesco express shop and bought the basic foods we required: 4 bananas, 5L water, and 2 chocolate oranges. we'd already bought bread and raspberry jam which is AWESOME!  


that is all for today though im afraid. tomorrow we are getting up early to get the free continental breakfast (toast and cornflakes). we're pretty happy with the room we;ve got, it's the best we have seen from the hotel so far. tomorrow we are not doing much else after breakfast except for lazing and then at 10m, we are meeting up with my friend Emily who is living in london for the next few months.

thats all for my first journal entry!!!!!!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.