Existing Member?

My Treasure Box My tresure box is full of friends who were once strangers, unexpected beauty upon the path and those who travel with me in the suitcase of my heart. These treasures have brought more meaning and beauty into this wonderful life God has given me.

Thanksgiving After All

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 28 November 2009 | Views [178] | Comments [1]

After missing my family and reflecting on our many traditions all morning and then being blessed to hear most of their voices this afternoon I accepted that Thanksgiving doesn't really mean much when you're not with your family.  I dismissed the holiday and decided that I would try to never miss another one.

But Jude surprisd us as she slyly asked us about our traditions over breakfast and spent all day on the internet researching recipes and cooking a NZ Thanksgiving in the kitchen.  I grew a bit suspicious when I saw a recipe for pumpkin pie on the counter.

As we set the table for dinner Jude told us to put out 6 wine glasses and special candels because tonight we were going to have a Kiwi Thanksgiving and that she had tried to keep it as traditional as possible.  My heart swelled and I loved the meal before I even saw or tasted it.  I loved how much thought, love and time had been poured into it and I was overjoyed that I wasn't going to miss out on Thanksgiving after all.

We shared our NZ Thanksgiving with Roger and Jude and the 2 German guests, Mia and Ernst who were also delighted to share in a Thanksgiving Feast with us.  We ate a big stuffed chicken, gravy, masheed potatos, brocolli, kumara (NZ's sweet potatos that I love), salad, home-made bread, a tomato pie and pumpkin pie and ice cream for dessert.  We spoke our thanks to one another, shared family traditions and ate until we couldn't eat anymore as the candels flickred and the wind howled outside.  I left their home full not only in my belly, but in my heart.  And now we are waiting for the fire to warm our bath!  I am thankful beyond words.

Comments

1

Katie,

I love reading your entries. I feel like I am there with you, if only for a little bit. I can hear you saying all these things, laughing your cute Katie laugh, and being you...reminding me of all of the simple pleasures in life. You really are a wonderful friend, and inspire me in many different ways. I miss you very much. I often think of Athens and 43, and sometimes it makes me sad thinking of times that I miss, but most of the time it just makes me happy. Happy that we had those times together. Keep writing, keeping being you, and keep in touch :)

love your friend and sister
stephanie

  Stephanie Lyell Dec 4, 2009 2:45 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.