Existing Member?

My Treasure Box My tresure box is full of friends who were once strangers, unexpected beauty upon the path and those who travel with me in the suitcase of my heart. These treasures have brought more meaning and beauty into this wonderful life God has given me.

Paradise here at Ngaio Bay

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 28 November 2009 | Views [159] | Comments [1]

This week I read the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (this is a beautifully written parable about following your dreams, a quick read and one I'd highly recommend).

One of the quotes from the book says,

"The existence of this world is simply a guarantee that there exists a world that is perfect, God created the world so that through its visible objects men could understand His spiritual teachings and the marvels of His wisdom."

This quote embodies the way I have felt these past 2 weeks as I have lived here in this magically beautiful part of the world.

The following are excerpts from my journal:

.....

I am laying on the beach listening to the waves touch the shore, the sun is high and warm on my skin.  The cabin Jeanna and I will be living in is behind me (on the beach) under 2 beautiful flowering trees with a hammock hanging between them.  Blue penguins are nesting behind the cabin and bellbirds and tuis are singing merrily.  My new best friend, Oscar a golden lab just walked the beach with me, chewing up mussels with his teeth and is now lying here beside me, I like his company and am happy to have a new shadow.

Jude and Roger our wwoof hosts embody peace and instantly I had a deep respect for them and enjoyed getting to know Jude as she sat with us on her deck sharing afternoon tea and ginger cookies.  Jude and Roger have lived here for 30 years, raised 5 children and run an eco bed and breakfast, sharing their lives with their guests and wwoofers over dinner each night.  Jude used to be the areas nurse and Roger is a flower photographer and retired commercial fisherman.  Their garden is beautiful and full of fresh goodness, heaps of compost, 20 different fruit trees, a strawberry patch, raspberries, and roses of every color in bloom around the property.

.....

The rain has sung many songs as she has fallen hard on our roof throughout the night.  It has woken me often only to look out the window into a hazy misty blue and pull the blankets a bit closer, falling back asleep with deeper peace each time.  The rains song is one of comfort, relaxing and soothing to the ear.  I see blue sky breaking through and hear the tui bird in the tree above me singing.  I saw Jude dparting the water before me this morning naked, as she goes for a swim every morning no matter how cold, windy or rainy it may be.  This woman amazes me, she is 63, beautiful, active, fit and capable of managing many things at once, working all day in the garden and managing the familys 2 businesses and then cooking a 5 star dinner and home-made dssert each night, never seeming to tire.  Roger isn't as active, but is one of the happiest and most peaceful men I have met.  He spends his days talking to his doves and dogs, catching fish for dinner, playing his flute, taking pictures of flowers and watching the occasional football game.

.....

Yesterday as Jeanna and I sat in our cabin before dinner we saw a school of dolphins swim by, we laughed as the sun danced with the water and the wind blew hard.  Jeanna proclaimed, "Tuesday November 17th 2009, watched dolphins swim by the window from the comforts of my bed."

.....

Tonight is a night I hesitate to describe with words.  Its memory will live in my mind and I know will remind me often of life's simple joys and beauties.  It was a night of magic given to us by our Father above.  After tending to the fire under the tub, Jeanna and I entered the bath water filled with rose petals, she layed at one end and I at the other.  We sat for awhile in silent reverance.  We then left the warmth of the waters for a quick swim in the ocean.  As we entered the cool water bioluminiscent planktin danced with our every movement, creating bright green light on this dark moonless night.  We returned to the tub overjoyed and prayed together a beautiful prayer spoken in the language of our hearts.  We than sang songs of praises to the creator of this beautiful night.

.....

I love the small simple things that make life more bautiful-flowers brought into the home, planted abundantly in the garden, the designs I find on rocks, the birds song, the buzzing of bees, candels, the smell of incents burning, art work hung on the walls.  These small things make life beautiful.

.....

Jeanna and I worked hard yesterday afternoon and this morning building a raised bed for potatos.  There is something about swinging a hammer and sawing wood that empowers me.

.....

After dinner Jeanna and I hiked up the long and steep gravel road for sunset.  He was setting quickly and I was anxious so I left without shoes.  It was a long hike out of this cozy bay, with each step bringing us to new heights of beauty.  I often had to stop, despite my determinance to make it up the hill and take in the beauty that glew before me, I could hardly believe what I was seeing. 

Our way back was through green pastures, inching down the hills as sheep stood still in their paths watching us.  We found a back country path and my feet kissed the grass.  Darkness was falling and only the moon and the last few streaks of pink guided us.

.....

Today we cleaned Jude and Rogers home, my hands held the vacum cleaner, sucking away cob-webs and dust and my heart dreamed of one day having my own home, of being able to plant flowers and trees, grow my own food and medicine and build a cabin with my own hands.  This is a dream that is growing inside of me and perhaps one I'll pursue sooner than I would have imagined.  For now I'll just sit in the garden and pretend that I'm a flower.

Comments

1

"For now I'll just sit in the garden and pretend that I'm a flower."
I love you!! You goof!

  Taryn Dec 2, 2009 5:19 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.