Existing Member?

Roving Wild Little adventures through this bea-U-tiful planet of ours :)

All booked, I'm off to the pampas

BOLIVIA | Thursday, 5 July 2007 | Views [1004] | Comments [3]

Well now! Look who's feeling all better (except for a still-runny nose and a bit of a sore throat, but that's not a big deal at all)! A big group of maybe 15 of us went out last night, dancing until almost 5 o'clock, having a grand old time tearin' up La Paz! Oh good times! Then I woke up around one feeling absolutely perfect (only drinking water last night because I'm a good girl and want to be healthy again) and headed over to the market, and booked my Pampas tour!

Pampas are like the wetlands within the rainforest...not sure how to explain them. But okay, USD$50, 2 nights, 3 days. All meals (chef-prepared in our cabins, and vegetarian for moi) included and with an English guide, we'll basically be in a jeep 4x4 or a boat on the river most of the day, seeing caimans and anacondas and monkeys, and on the second day, get this: We will get the opportunity to swim with

PINK DOLPHINS

Which is something you can't do anywhere else in the world! And there were statistics last year that said there are over 4000 in the area (the tour agent was very sensitive to the fact that I did NOT want a tour where the guide is jumping on snakes and yanking them out of the water, or chasing birds for in-flight photos, or anything that would otherwise really bother, upset, or stress out the animals)!

So my flight leaves for Rurrenabaque on Sunday morning, I meet up with a group of 6 or 7 when I arrive and start the tour the same day, we sleep in a "base camp" with cabins and mosquito nets, and my flight back to La Paz leaves Tuesday night after the tour ends. I could have bussed, but it's 20-30 hours each way and with all the long journeys I intend on doing in Argentina and when I'm going across Peru for my flight, I figure I could splurge the USD$130 roundtrip airfare this time ;)

And tonight my hostel has a dinner with burgers and veggie burgers and free drinks, then we have one more night of dancing ahead of us before Gabi and Kev (the ones I came here from Cusco with) and a few others leave tomorrow! And now I'm off to buy some of that really wicked-looking cake I saw on the way here. Chao for now!

Tags: the great outdoors

Comments

1

Hey kid! Love your updates and pictures. Exciting times and interesting places... I have a friend who just returned from Peru and another one who is there now. My friend commented about the many young people who are travelling there.

Take good care love...we miss you and are happy to hear about your adventures. Love you...Auntie

  Aunt Brenda Jul 6, 2007 3:21 PM

2

Hi Kirsten,

My name is Diana and I am from Nova Scotia, Canada. I am heading to South America on Thurs. I was just online reading travelling logs and I happened to come upon yours. Anyway, I land in Peru on the 12th and will be touring particularily around Peru and the bordering countries for about 5 weeks. Could you recommend any unique places or hikes in Ecuador, Bolivia or the northern part of Chile? How about clothing in those countries ...pants, short? Well, if you have time, I would greatly appreciate a message, but if not I totally understand. Enjoy the rest of your travells and take care! Cheers!

  Diana Poloni Jul 8, 2007 1:30 AM

3

Hey Kirst!
that sounds like a blast! I'm envious that you get to swim with pink dolphins. Have fun! Can't wait to read your next entry.

Joe

  Joe Jul 8, 2007 3:12 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.