Existing Member?

Roving Wild Little adventures through this bea-U-tiful planet of ours :)

To anyone going to Bolivian Pampas

BOLIVIA | Thursday, 12 July 2007 | Views [1065] | Comments [1]

This is urgent information for anyone planning to see the Pampas in Rurrenabaque, Bolivia:

Do NOT wear insect repellent containing Deet. There have been huge numbers of anacondas being found dead in the wetlands due to tourists wearing Deet and then handling them and touching their sensitive skin. Tour agents and guides are not taking the responsibility of warning tourists of this danger, so please pass this on! It's crucial to the delicate ecosystem and balance of the area!

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

It's not really known to "kill" the anacondas, but yes, it does damage their skin. However, the tourists should of course be made aware of this - thing is Bolivian tourist operators are very irresponsible in every way but I guess it's not their fault... I think they just need to be educated about this fact, and that it's actually OK to tell the tourists that they should not use deet if they think they'll be wanting to touch the anacondas. But nobody tells them to tell the tourists so nothing happens, therefore. I mean it's like with Bolivian toilets, OMG.. they ask for their money when letting you in.. but all they're doing is basically sit on their arse and toilets are NEVER cleaned.. are completely disgusting, flooded with poo, pee and vomit all over the seat and the floors. Tourists think "Well, not gonna say something. It's just a cultural thing - I shouldn't try to be someone who wants to change it".. but hell, I had to say my meaning on the toilet of the Villazón train station - told the woman how she could possibly ask people to PAY for something as disgusting as that toilet, why she didn't clean it. And I asked for my money back, which I did.

  Thru Jun 28, 2009 4:00 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.