Existing Member?

The story so far...

Day 134 - Medellin

COLOMBIA | Monday, 20 October 2014 | Views [230]

I decided I would take the overnight bus to Bogota at 10pm so spent the morning chilling at the hostel and packing before heading downtown via the bus station to grab my ticket. The Medellin Metro system really is world class. For about $1 per ticket you can go pretty much anywhere on what is arguably one of the cleanest, most logical and reliable metro systems I have been on 

After securing my bus ticket Becky and I went to the Museo D Antioquia to see the Botero collection and other works by Gomez. We had a heap of fun and spent a good two hours touring around the museum. I am a huge fan of Botero’s work and also of the guy himself. As one of the richest living artists in the world, he is a committed social entrepreneur and passionate Paisa who has invested a lot in developing the cultural capital of Colombia. 

We backtracked over some of the ground we covered in our walking tour trying to take in a bit more of the surrounds minus the rain before heading to try Bandeja Paisa - the local dish described as the ‘artery clogger’. It is a plate of rice, avocado, fried plantains, areapas filled with cheese, pork rind, sausage, steak, beans and topped with a fried egg. It actually wasn’t even half as bad as some of the other fry up’s Colombians eat and as we shared this epic plate of food and a cazuela (soup) we were pleasantly surprised. 

Following our lunch feast we did some more shopping and then headed back to the hostel. I headed to the bus station and Becky to bed, opting to come to Bogota the following day instead. 

About kikkijayne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.