Existing Member?

The story so far...

Day 135 - Bogota

COLOMBIA | Monday, 20 October 2014 | Views [271]

The bus from Medellin to Bogota was due to take around nine hours. While this one didn’t break down, it took at least 12. I think we may have been stopped at a FARC checkpoint for quite some time during the night. I will ask no questions and not complain about the delay, rather be thankful that we had a safe journey. 

Decided to head to the Cranky Croc hostel to catch up with some of the Aussie guys Becky and I had met back in Medellin. It was already midday when I arrived so I planned to meet up with the crew to watch Colombia play El Salvador at a nearby Irish pub in the evening.

After checking in and having a fabulous hot shower (almost forgot how good they feel) I decided to try and find some lunch and the hostel Lindy had forgotten to pay so I could settle her debt! I found this tiny little hole in the way bakery con restaurant just down the street from the hostel with a $7,000 peso menu del dia. For about $3 I got the most amazing pumpkin soup, grilled pork, vegetables, rice, beans and juice. I also scored a spot with my own little attic window which was the perfect place to look out at the world. 

Spent the rest of the afternoon wandering around La Candeleria checking out little cafes, street art and the centro area before meeting a guy from the hostel to do a tour of the Museo del Oro (Gold Museum). We made it in time for the free english tour offered at 4pm each day which was the best way to get the most out of the exhibits. 

We spent two hours across the three levels hearing from a historian about the various exhibits. It was great to have the opportunity to see some of the artefacts from the Coguis recovered from Teyuna (the Lost City) as well as from other indigenous tribes from all over Colombia. 

Feeling very cultured and also struggling to cope with cold in Bogota we went back to the hostel for more clothes and raincoats before venturing with the Aussie crew to an Irish pub for the football. We had a few beers and waited for Becky’s bus to arrive before heading to a local BBQ place for dinner. 

After dinner we went in search of a place to try to play Tejo - Colombia’s national sport and favourite pastime which involves gunpowder, beer, mud and pucks (more about this later). Not finding any Tejo establishments open we opted for a Salsa Bar instead. Given none of us knew how to Salsa we still had a fabulous night, making friends with locals, dancing and enjoying the best of Bogota’s nightlife. 

About kikkijayne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.