Existing Member?

The story so far...

Day 84 - Cerro Negro & Leon

NICARAGUA | Thursday, 21 August 2014 | Views [282]

After cooking up a breakfast feast at the hostel we set out early to get to Cerro Negro (Black Hill) to hike up & then board down one of central Americas youngest & most active canoes.

I was terrified but prepared to try it. As we got to the crater I wondered wtf I had gotten myself into. We suited up into costumes that made us look like we had stepped out of a Super Mario cart game and got a quick lesson in how to try not to hurt yourself while boarding down. The slope was so freaking steep and at least a 700m descent of which you couldn't see the bottom.

I was second in our group of 4 and to be honest, hated every second of the slide down. I could not slow or stabilize myself properly & I couldn't wait for it to be over but didn't want to go any faster either! Made it safely to the bottom where our guide decides to tells us about a guy who was paralysed after a boarding accident a few weeks ago! Fark! It was certainly an experience which has led me to conclude that I'm much more comfortable just trekking volcanoes.

We were back by midday, went back to the markets for lunch with some hostel friends & then headed up to the roof of the Leon Catedral. It was a stunning vista up there where you could see 360 degree views of the city skyline and the volcanoes along the horizon.

Lindy & I then checked out the Ortiz Guardian contemporary art gallery before sourcing the ingredients to make up our own piña coladas. Our first piña colada at temp wasn't an overwhelming success but it was still tasty.

We headed back out for some street food & them ended up at a reggae bar (of sorts) just near our hostel. A few more cocktails & that was us done!

About kikkijayne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.