Existing Member?

The story so far...

Day 77 - Volcan Santa Ana, Lago Coatepeque & Playa El Tunco

EL SALVADOR | Thursday, 14 August 2014 | Views [1188]

Our fabulous friend Mario took the day off work to take us touring some of his favourite spots out of San Salvador.

We started the day at Mister Donut (it's a national icon), grabbed some supplies for our day trip & then headed through Santa Tecla into the Parque Nacionale Los volcanoes to trek Santa Ana.

Starting out from Casa de Cristal The trek was more like a really pleasant walk up to the crater which sits at around 2,388m. We were joined by a lovely group of Americans who were living in El Salvador and our very own police escort! Better safe than sorry right?

Such amazing views from the crater including seeing the lake smoke & bubble - even if it was a little worrying given the volcano is active & only erupted about 12 years ago! That aside Santa Ana marks our fifth volcano peak in Central America. (San Salvador doesn't count because we drove up it). Not a bad effort over the past month!

After the trek we ventured to Lago Coatepeque for lunch at Rancho Allegre and a refreshing swim. I was the the only one that got in the water but god it was good!

We then ventured back to San Salvador, picked up Antonietta & headed for Playa El Tunco. Perched above the black sand rocks, listening to the roaring waves of the Pacific Ocean we found a really nice bar called Monkey Lala & settled in for a cocktail & dinner.

A big day of exploring with some lovely new friends.

 

 

About kikkijayne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about El Salvador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.