Existing Member?

The story so far...

Day 2 - Centro Historico & Coyoacan

MEXICO | Friday, 30 May 2014 | Views [280]

I started this blog entry and then managed to spill water all over my new MacBook Air :( I'm hoping it dries out but it's recommended you wait 72 hours before using it & assessing damage.

For now, I've pulled together this entry via the iphone while Lindy & I bus to Morelia for the weekend in the Michoacan in south west Mexico. 

We we started Day 2 with a Lindy-led Crossfit inspired workout in the park Just near our apartment. The locals looked on as we provided their morning entertainment, unsure what to make of Lindy's handstand push-ups & my burpees in the mud & bark! It was exactly what we needed to shake off our transit hangover :)

Our plan for the day was to navigate the Mexican Metro to check out a few markets & areas around the city. We managed to get ourselves on & off a train directly inside the Mercado de la Merced. The biggest market in Mexico, the Merced spans an epic 113 acres & houses all sorts of little cantinas tucked in between stalls selling everything from shoes, crockery, rip-off designer hand bags to fresh meat & fruit.

Using our worst spanglish we managed to order some tasty chicken tacos for lunch from a tiny little stall at the back of the market. We were the only tourists in the place & it was always to the amusement of stallholders that we could not speak or understand Spanish! Wandering around we did find a wall of watermelons, mango flowers, a statue made of corn kernels & plenty of Mexican sausage! It was a great feast for the senses & yet another experience that indicated to get the most out of this trip we need to learn Spanish fast!

That aside we did made friends with one of the only English speaking person at the market who was so excited that we were from Australia because her favourite band of all time is Savage Garden! She was quite literally truly, madly & deeply in love with them... 

Leaving the city behind we made the most of the ridiculously cheap metro & headed to Coyaoacan where we spent the afternoon & evening at the Plaza Hidalgo & Jardin Del Centenario- the cultural & social heart of the town. As well as the great vibe, fantastic food & amazing atchitecture we stumbled across an artisan market where we struggled not to blow our budget!

It was great to spend time in parts of Mexico City we didn't get to on our last trip & we arrived home content, on-budget & ready to pack for our weekend venture to Morelia!

 

 

 

 

 

About kikkijayne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.