Existing Member?

For The Memories, Babe Finding myself in a rut, I've decided to try something new. Or a few things new actually. I've taken a job as an au pair. And moved to a different country. And don't know anyone else. And am directionally impaired. Here goes nothing...

In the beginning

NETHERLANDS | Thursday, 21 February 2008 | Views [639] | Comments [4]

So Alex Garland had an excellent point. I don't have a blog. It's definitely the best way to not have to repeat my stories two hundred times, though as I've already typed an entirely perfect blog and then deleted it (I'm a dumbass), this will not be the literary genius that I was hoping for my maiden voyage. So, while I'm a little behind on the blogging bit, below is a basic summary of the reason for my blog (in Cliff's Notes form, unfortunately):

After doing some soul-searching (due mostly to the fact that I felt it would be something worth searching for, as I was afraid it may in fact be lost), I decided there was very little worth keeping in my jobless, boyfriendless, moneyless (I promise this gets cheerier) position. I needed a change, and for me, change in venue is usually the first place I go. And Jersey wasn't going to cut it this time.

So I packed my bags and headed to the Netherlands, home of the worry-free ciga-weed...though it does me no good as I'm sure I'm allergic. After my pleasantly British flight to Amsterdam, and the stunning realization that my luggage was no longer in one piece, I was anxious to start my new adventure. And I have. And it's great, and I'm glad. So far.

I've taken a job as an au pair for a family in Sint Michelsgistel, which is great because a)they're super nice, and 2)I have a pretty flexible schedule, giving me time to explore.

[I know I had another paragraph here of poetic genious, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was. Damn that 'save' button!]

Things I like about the Netherlands: the fact that directions to the house literally include the phrase, "turn left at the windmill"; the fact that while they prefer Dutch, most everyone knows English; the fact that the mom I work for makes amazing dinners every night; the fact that I have my own little "house" to get-away to when I need space, even if that space is limited.

Things I don't like about the Netherlands: the fact that the only time I'm truly warm is when taking extended HOT showers; the fact that I'm alone a lot when I'm not with the kids; the fact that biking is the prefered method of transportation- everywhere; the fact that the only rule to driving is apparently "big car go first."

So I've now set up house and gotten to know the kids and the routine and the bike route. Which is something worth discussion. So, I know that I'm not in shape. I'm not too proud to state the truth. But when did this happen? I know that as a kid I could ride my bike all night until my parents had to drag me off for dinner! So why do I all of a sudden have these afflictions? Aching legs, sore back, this horrible wheezing, panting thing that I get into every afternoon on the way to lug four children in one basket-thing home from school? I guess this makes it official. I'm an adult. Yuck.

Something that I do like though is Skype. If you haven't yet, go to skype.com and download it. It's great. 2 cents a minute to talk on the phone- even overseas- and you can see video feed or three-way call others. It's nice because I'm not so worried about having to give a quick, "yeah,i'mfine.talktoyoulater." Instead I can eat an apple in leisure (sorry, Dad!) and have an actual conversation. Most helpful.

So here is where I'll end my blog. I have another story (my first real travel story), but I feel like I should start anew. After I save this one, of course :)

Fin, for now.

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Fantastic first blog. It's amazing being out doing things you've never thought you would isn't it. Mad props to you for doing this. I know how hard it can be. If you need any help or support, just shoot me an email and I would be more than happy to lend a hand.

  mradventure Feb 22, 2008 12:08 PM

2

The apple wouldn't have been so bad if you hadn't been eating it off a knife like a gypsy. Just a thought...

  Kera Feb 23, 2008 2:47 AM

3

Hah Katies a gypsy now, watch out for Hitler.

  Michael Feb 26, 2008 4:47 PM

4

Come home. Quickly. Get me. Together we will go back and find the windmill. Who needs nursing school?Thank you.

  Kera Feb 28, 2008 7:34 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.