Existing Member?

For The Memories, Babe Finding myself in a rut, I've decided to try something new. Or a few things new actually. I've taken a job as an au pair. And moved to a different country. And don't know anyone else. And am directionally impaired. Here goes nothing...

TAXI!

NETHERLANDS | Friday, 29 February 2008 | Views [1106] | Comments [7]

So yesterday I decided to try my hand at getting to Den Bosch on the bike, which apparently the other au pairs did frequently.  Well good for them.  It is the most confusing damn thing I've ever seen/done in my life.  The Mom gave me directions (kind of) to a parking lot for bicycles so that you can pay a Euro to make sure no one steals your bike.  Bike theft is like the number one crime in all of the Netherlands.  Anyway, going to Den Bosch sucked, and coming home sucked more.  It's a labryinth of areas you can and cannot take your stupid bike, and as I can't read the street signs, I have no idea where these areas start and end.  So basically, after about an hour of trying to get to the city, I just kind of followed people on bikes to figure out how to get near anything resembling something familiar.  However, I never found the stupid bike parking, and since I don't have a key to my bike lock, I was stuck with the bike.  I continued pretending I had somewhere to be (which technically I did but couldn't find), I finally gave up and came home...eventually.  Really crappy way to waste three hours.  Plus now my ass hurts from sitting on that stupid bike so long, and I'm no more prepared to get there than I was before yesterday.  Fantastic.

I'm sticking with the bus.

Fin, for now.

Tags: Misadventures

Comments

1

When will we see the book or the movies of your adventures in the wild wild badlands of eroupe?

  Dad Mar 1, 2008 3:17 AM

2

Umm... remember in the office episode where Jim is so drunk he can't ride his bike home and he falls in the bushes... I feel like that may be what you looked like toward the end of your adventure... In my mind, it is a hilarious visual...

  Kera Mar 1, 2008 3:52 AM

3

Also... BIKE CRIME IS DANGEROUS... (Seriously, I would rather steal a windmill than a bike...do it...do it...)

  Kera Mar 1, 2008 3:54 AM

4

It is dangerous. And also, yes, I looked exactly like a cross between Jim and one of those Jehovah's witnesses. It was not pleasant.

  katieback Mar 1, 2008 4:51 AM

5

This blog thing is cool. Sorry about your ass. are the people friendly at least?

  Stallion Mar 2, 2008 5:29 AM

6

I want you to come home straight away! The crime rate there sounds horrible!

  Michael Mar 4, 2008 9:25 AM

7

boy, that place doesn't sound pleasant...a crack in your behind and someone taking a crack at your bike? what next?

  Faine Mar 7, 2008 8:38 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.