Existing Member?

Pilgrims

OMG DCB

GERMANY | Wednesday, 20 July 2011 | Views [438]

And Now For Something Completely DifferentI have been spending quality time with family members I rarely see or had even met before now and couldn't be more thrilled, the family connection is so weird isn't it? The complete love for tiny relatives..
Have made the effort to tear myself away..Saw The Crown Jewels--pretty shiny. The guards are everywhere, must be 2/3 viewers:1 guard, lol. Lots of people- clever me going on the first day of school holidays..
Went to comicon on behalf of an awesome 13yr old I know. Actually felt privileged to observe that culture (as someone who isn't a die hard fan of cult shows/comics..) Was great to be where some seem to consider holy ground. Mostly though there was simply an atmosphere of belonging and kinship, beautiful.
I wasn't there early enough for good tickets (not for lack of trying-the train lines are messed up ''for improvements'' on weekends) over 800 tickets sold out for a photo with an actor from Dr.Who by 9:30am, got ticket number 1402 for an autograph, we all waited and waited, they announced ''No More'' after 1200..sorry cous..
About 30% wore some level of costume, some wonderful dedication on display, had a photo taken with a random monster guy, he had such a gentle voice but looked ferocious.

Had a mungrel time finding a way to Ireland, best advice to save money is to book as early as possible, even 2 weeks from departure date is over 200 pounds, I had heard magical rumours of flights for less than ten quid..obviously not in summer holiday season.

 

Eventually got a eurobus for £56, Victoria coach station is pretty freaky- beware from above as pigeons have nested in the ceiling and using the toilets there cost a quid to use.

 

At rest stops I got talking to an Irish woman in her 60's who had some old fashioned opinions of the world- mothers working/ feminists are evil..golly..

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't been there as fifteen 11-13yr old boys, five girls and their two teachers loaded onto the bus at 11pm!?

Crazy lady told me that it's quite common for outskirts of England, one of the girls told me they travel all over to go busking in the holidays before she fell asleep on my shoulder.

 

The bus driver stopped for 20/30 minutes every 3hrs..just as I started to fall into a deep sleep at 2am, the teenage girl in front of me slammed her chair into recline, crushing my legs and my scream waking everyone. We were all carted off the bus at 3am to board a huge ferry (looked more like a naval carrier to me) across to Ireland.

Irish crazy stayed close and got drunk while she took me through her family history, I politely escaped when my legs had stopped aching.

 

Sunrise was gorgeous on the deck - felt like I was in the first half hour of 'Titanic' -birds flying across the water, ocean that went on forever - totally tranquil if it hadn't been for the deafening roar of the ships engine. All aboard at 7am, we arrived in cork at 10:40am. After the 16hr journey I would've been happy to never glance a bus ever again...

Bus (only) to Clonakilty.

 

I guess I have to explain now that I'm not only headed to Clonakilty to soak up the magnificence of the quaint west Cork county..I'm probably the shyest fan of a comedy rock band playing there for the weekend.. I know, only a crazy absolute dork would go to this much effort for their favourite band, I’ am such a dork. And totally proud of it.

 

Visited the sights and places of interest in town, an hour and a half later I came to the conclusion that the town reeaally adores a guy/god named Michael Collins here- the big statue is a tip-off and two thirds of the town museum is Collins' memorabilia, paid 2euro to find that out.

 

Was so nervous on the day of the concert and sure enough met half the band in the street, almost by accident ;) hope I didn't scare them too much..The concert was awesome, talked to the other two band members and made an idiot of myself again. I’m sure they get some people travelling to places like Sydney or London..not many out to Clonakilty..

That's not to say that those places are better- just that there's quite a bit more of everything there, which lots of people find awful to live near.

The local nightlife rocks along until 2am- the global truth of 3% women left at last call, the guys’ play-murdering each other. The inevitable clean up and hosing down of gutters outside pubs.

 

Don’t think I've mentioned the deal with booze in UK & Ireland, it’s strange that Aussies are judged as the alchies of the world when you can buy beer, wine and spirits where you buy your postcard stamps over here..Strange sight to see whiskey and rum one aisle over from baby food in the supermarket..and toddlers in a pub..at midnight, wtf? Is it just me?

 

I’m really impressed with the dessert choice over here though – Ben & Jerry ice cream- wish I was a poet..diets not going well.

Have a bit of a cold, did my best to not contaminate busload back to London, most embarrassed when I couldn't open the door (to get out of) the horrible bus toilet..funny now.

 

Back in London..where the streets are loud and people at bus stops don't suddenly start talking to me about their foot bunions, favourite recipes and names of their pet rabbits..aww..

About katebravado


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.