Existing Member?

Pilgrims

Last days in Poland

GERMANY | Wednesday, 6 July 2011 | Views [432]

The day before I left we went to a concentration camp used in WW2, was horrifying and very upsetting of course, saw barracks full of shoes that belonged to the victims; a case of hair shaved off to be sold; actual gas chambers where 78000 people were murdered and a display of personal items and photographs. Only 1/5th of the camp is still standing, there are so many barracks, I can barely imagine that there were so many more...I began to feel a burning anger for the suffering they endured, the pain of watching their children and loved ones waste away. Got the train to Warsaw with the sickly sweet odour of the camp sticking inside my throat.

 

Stayed in a hotel as all hostels were completely dodgy-not safe at all, and with the exchange rate, a nice hotel in Warsaw is the same price as a share hostel room in London, the town didn’t quiet down until 3am, was very happy for the sense of security..

Made a few stupid errors I'm happy to share, laugh at myself etc...Wasted 30zt and about an hour of my time because I didn't ask the hotel desk the best way to the bus station (I don’t know why not, just assumed I knew the best way...I didn't..dumb...) it's fairly annoying and very confusing to not be able to understand a word of polish, can tell I'm irritating others also- most of whom do not have the polite talent of not staring and laughing.

Arrived in London late in the evening, the hostel I stumbled into was practically empty, they gave me a bed in a ten share (£18 cheap cheap) but I had the place to myself. Horrible showers though- black drain, brown corners, rusty handles and shower head...but I did smell like a bag of rotting potatoes so...eww.

Staying with my cousin as I plan and organise next leg of journey to Ireland...

About katebravado


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.