Existing Member?

Odyssey number 2?

Keeping up with Buenos Aires

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 24 April 2010 | Views [552]

Kate and Caz in La Boca

Kate and Caz in La Boca

It's been a fairly intense week. The city moves at a very fast pace and we've all been flagging trying to keep up! Afternoon naps have become standard practice (a habit we're all keen to break). Hoping it has more to do with jet lag, time adjustments and being unwell and not the fact I'm... well officially a nanna.

On Tues we went to Recoleta, the swanky end of town. The architecture in recoleta is simply stunning. Buildings that would awe and inspire in Australia are common place in Argentina. You almost stop looking after a while. We went to the recoleta cemetery where only the elite are lucky enough to be buried (at a massive cost - $100's k) and it was absolutely amazing. Enormous tombs line mini streets. We saw Eva Perone's grave which is well hidden and quite simple.


On Wednesday we went to a tango show in the city. It was a fantastic night. Gourmet three course meal, numerous bottles of red wine (embarrased to say how many) and beer, a tango show and transport all for about $50 aus. The tango is amazing, even the boys were wowed. Dave shook his thing with one of the dancers and I was serenaded by a silver haired fox. Very romantic. We ended up going out to a party in the city and staggered home at some ungodly hour just in time for a few hours sleep before a 9am Spanish lesson. Needless to say I am not yet fluent in Spanish.

We headed to La Boca on Thursday, the poor, dangerous area of Buenos Aires. Due to the level of crime and the amount of people coming home wallet and bag less we decided to go on a tour. Tour left a lot to be desired but the heart of La Boca is a sight to be seen. Coloured buildings line the streets and soccer mania is rife. We managed to escape in tact, despite feelings towards the end of having a bullseye on our backs.

We spent much of today doing Spanish lessons and organising the next leg of our trip to Iguazu falls. I will be sad to leave B.A, having developed a fondness for its architecture, vibe and love of all things indulgent... We've been joking if we stay any longer none of us will be able to fit in our pants. Everything is rich, large and has a serve of fat on the side! Off to our last indulgent dinner for a while - la Caberra steak restaurant in Palermo, supposed to be amazing and a must see. Hasta Luega amigos xxxx

About kate2501


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.