Existing Member?

Odyssey number 2?

Buenos Aires to Iguazu

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 29 April 2010 | Views [560]

Well to follow on from last post La Carberra was AMAZING! The best meal I have ever had a restaurant. The steaks are absolutely enormous, tender and unbelievably tasty. 400g eye fillet was $13 Aus and came with about 10 different sides to try with each bite (sauces, pears, apples, cured onions and pickles, potatoes etc). Each one was an experience. Will load photos later to make you all salivate! 


Our last week in B.A was a doozie. We went to a massive night club called Pascha outside of B.A where ministry of sound DJ's were headlining. It didn´t start until 2.30am and was intense. Three massive levels with different DJ´s, packed crowd, theatrical shows on stage was a sight to be seen! Needless to say barely got off the dance floor until sunrise - fantastic night out! 

We went to a soccer match in La Boca on Sunday. One of the staff from the hostel had told us about the soccer and had told some tales of goings on, needless to say we were a little skeptical until we arrived. Argentinean soccer fans are INSANE! An Australian grand final has nothing on this atmosphere. We decided to go with the hostel group and pay a little more due to hearing stories of it being unsafe. We had security escort us to our section hours before the match so we could be sure to get a seat in a calmer section and more importantly under the roof. We were with a La Boca crowd and soon learned the opposition urinate over the above section, throw flares, bottles, cardboard and anything else they can get their hands on on to the section below them (our section). The whole crown sang the entire match and danced in the stands (no seating, all tiered standing). There were times when you get swept up in a sidewards crowd movement and just have to go with it. Poor Dave nearly went for six and would potentially have done himself and the crowd below some serious damage. There are bars positioned throughout the stands which we learned were crush barriers as supporters will rush to the front of the stand when a goal is scored. There are fences with barbed wire surrounding the ground to prevent supporters from rushing the field. After the match there were riot police on the field. The match was fantastic and La Boca won so the crowd was absolutely pumping. In the La Boca stand across the field where only the bravest dare enter they have a band, onsite DJ in the stands and at times the entire stadium shook as the thousands in the stand all started dancing (more like jumping or moshing) at once. It was a sight to be seen. When the match was over all La Boca supporters had to remain in the stadium for about 45 mins to allow the opposition to clear the stadium and get out of the surrounding area. There were riot police everywhere and on our way in we were searched on multiple occasions for weapons. Anyway, all went well, had an amazing time, got in an out safely and would absolutely go again! The Argentineans are packed full of passion, you see it in everything they do. Be it eating, greeting friends, dancing, spending time with family its all heart. They seem to have it really sorted out in terms of work life balance (Weekends most businesses shut down, and people take long leisurely meals with friends and family).

We caught a 17 hr bus ride from B.A to Iguazu falls on the border of Argentina and Brazil. The buses here are luxurious, full beds almost. We went to the falls today and they are spectacular. Impossible to adequately describe. The height and size and sheer volume of water cascading over is phenomenal. I will post photos when I get a comp with a USB port!

We have been trying to save some pesos and cook some meals (also trying to save a few notches on the belt buckle) and have been trying to slow down on hen r cervacas (beer). It is very easy to blow your budget if settle at the bar for too long.

A man has just walked in the bar area of the hostel behind me beating a drum and leading a buxom Brazilian dancer shaking her ass, wearing a piece of string as a costume, sparkles, headdress and all. Better go and have a look at what’s going on.

Adiós chicas!

About kate2501


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.