Existing Member?

Two Monkeys...Monkeying Around

On Racism

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 14 December 2005 | Views [837] | Comments [1]

Though often rated among the very best cities in the world, Sydney has shown a side of itself that we were both surprised and disgusted to see. We did not experience it first hand (thank goodness), but pervading the news channels here are scenes of violence and racial hatred that we thought to be well beneath Australia. Unfortunately, we were wrong.

It all seems to have started a week ago at Cronulla beach, one of the many beaches in the south of Sydney (45 min train ride out of the downtown core). Two lifeguards were attacked by what were described as “middle-eastern” men. This raised a huge uproar in Cronulla, as the lifeguards are guys who volunteer their time on the weekend to keep the beaches safe, and there were cries that the attacks were un-Australian. Certainly, those initial attacks were wrong, but what ensued this past weekend was nothing short of disgusting. Two wrongs don’t make a right last time we checked, but unfortunately this is the stance that some 5000 drunken white 18-30 yr olds took this weekend. In a bid to “take back Cronulla”, an alcohol fuelled riot spread through Cronulla. Violence and mob mentality abounded as ANYONE of middle-eastern origin was sworn at and attacked. Racial slurs abounded as the attackers hid behind Australian flags.

This vigilante “justice” drew riot police and as you might imagine provoked arrests (though not nearly enough). While there is no doubt that the attacks on the lifeguards were despicable, to go an generalize that ALL middle-eastern individuals act in this manner and to go on a literal witch hunt sickened us both such that we were in disbelief as we watched the scenes unfold. This xenophobia and vigilante protectionism has cast an ugly picture of Cronulla such that I doubt we will be returning. Though this means that we are also generalizing the behaviour of this incident to all residents of Cronulla, we don’t feel that such behaviour is worth condoning by continuing to visit the area.

Unfortunately, this events of this past weekend provoked a counter attack by about 60 men during the hours of the night; they who went on a rampage in a Sydney suburb by smashing cards parked on the street by innocent and non-involved Sydneysiders. It is our hope that the violence does not escalate, as there is nothing good that can come of this. But again, it’s the actions of the few that tarnish our experience. It’s unfortunate that these events had to come and taint our otherwise love of the city and its people...

Tags: Misadventures

Comments

1

The behaviour displayed by both these groups of men was disgusting and inexquesable. The group of men who attacked the lifeguards should of been dealt with and punished accordingly by authority. It was not the mass group of drunken "so called aussies" job to go around and punish innocent people for what a group of men did. All those people who were involved in the cronulla riots should be ashamed of themselves. You have put a black cloud over Cronulla and unfortunatley Australia aswell.

  Sarah Apr 20, 2006 12:16 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.