Existing Member?

Crikey! Jamie's gone down under!

Selling Children

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 11 March 2011 | Views [623] | Comments [3]

I started my job about 2 weeks ago, with a day in training. For those that don't know, I am currently working for a charity trying to persuade people to sponsor children in 3rd world countries. For my first proper day, I was partnered with a guy called Dan who has been with the company for 2 months now, and according to him it was one of the best first days he's seen, which I was pretty pleased with. I have been improving more and more with each day that goes by, which I am really glad about, however in the 2 weeks I've been working now, I have only made one sponsor. This was last Tuesday, and it was within the first half hour which was really good! Today, I was put with Emma, another fairly new employee, and although we had a really good day today, pitching about 15-20 people each, we didn't get a sponsor, just because everyone seemed to be unemployed, underage, emigrating etc. basically just ineligible! It was quite frustrating! I'm pretty pleased to still be here though, as many people have been fired on their first or second day! The turnover of people is pretty rapid, but the bosses are very particular about the type of people they employ.

You do meet a lot of crazies in this job though. There was a guy at one site who walked up and down the shopping centre the WHOLE day just muttering to himself. I've also had someone ridiculously racist saying that it's not worth helping the blacks as they will just grow up and kill you. Another one was a demented woman who was with a normal looking guy who turned out to be just a crazy as her saying she was a 211 year old pixie. It really is bizarre, those are just 3 of the many examples I could give!

The hardest part of the job is staying positive. You get rejected a huge amount of times in a day, and it can be hard to keep upbeat. Stopping people is also difficult, but if you get over any fear or nervousness, then it's fine. The worst that can happen is for someone to say "No" or "f*** off".

That's work at least. It's 100% commission and bonus, so I haven't made any real money yet, but hopefully it will pick up next week. I only need about 1 "yes" every day, and that gets me around $500, enough to live and a bit more. It's a really small numbers game, but it still is tough to get the "yes". As for personal and social life, I had a fairly quiet weekend last weekend, recovering from my first week in work. A few of us from the house spent Sunday on the beach, which was pretty cool, and it was a really nice sunny day. This week it has been even longer and more knackering, and although the days seem to go by fairly quickly, I still get really shattered at the end. I am going into work tomorrow, as Monday is a public holiday, but I get to go in a bit later, 9 o clock as it's a Saturday. It's also Antonia's (another housemate) leaving do on Saturday night, so we will be going out for that, and I'm hoping that Future Music festival (line-up featuring Mark Ronson, Chemical Brothers, Kesha, MGMT, Dizzee Rascal and many other AWESOME artists) will have half price tickets as we get closer to the festival day on Sunday. If they get cut, then I will definitely buy one! I also have rugby to watch this weekend, at stupid o clock in the morning, but it will happen!

On another note, just in case anyone is wondering after they see the news, Australia may or may not be affected by the Japan earthquake, they keep changing their minds, but if it is hit bby a tsunami, I will not be affected at all! I'm right at the south of Australia, and the tsunami will hit the north if it hits at all! So nobody worry! The end of the world in 2012 is looking more and more likely recently, isn't it, what with all the disasters! Anyway, I'm gonna get some dinner, so see you all later, hope you're all well, byeeeee! xxxxxxx

Comments

1

Hey dude, sorry I havent really commented on anything so far, just been a bit swamped with exams and work for the last few months. Anyway, I digress. It sounds like youre having an awesome time in oz and well done on getting a job! its not easy at the best of times, especially when you're a foreigner ;) . Moving swiftly on, I can tell you that I only went and got into uni last week with ABB (GET IN THERE!!!!!!!) so I'm off to loughborough to do automotive engineering and also I'm off to nepal to trek through the himalayas in April for a few weeks, so i'm pretty darn psyched about it all.

Anyways dude, stay safe and start flogging some kids to strangers!
See you when you get back x

  Faris Mar 17, 2011 12:40 PM

2

Frankly, the title promised a lot more than the post delivered.
x

  Vegan Mar 30, 2011 9:45 AM

3

Wassup Jamie?
I bet that job taught you a lot about being a salesman which I guess is a useful skill to have under your belt at 18! What's next on the horizon job-wise? (jumping the gun on the blogs here! :P) you better start earning some money cos we're going to ben nevis when you're back!!

Sam and Faris are going travelling meanwhile I've got 1 month's easter holidays from uni! (not sure if I'm even going back tho!) anyway it kinda sucks that they are going as I have no one to play footie at the common with... Joe and I could play but it would be a bit tragic just us 2! So long story short I think you should come back to England now :P

applied to eurocamp for a summer job which would obviously be amazing so we'll see!

Sounds like you're still having a wicked time, stay positive :)

Skype again soon badgermuff!
x


  Allan Apr 1, 2011 11:26 AM

About jtmoughton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.