Existing Member?

Crikey! Jamie's gone down under!

Rainbow Beach and Fraser Island

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 19 May 2011 | Views [388]

Hi everyone, how are you?

Rainbow Beach was my next stop, where I spent 2 nights before going off to Fraser Island. The hostel was pretty chilled, they had a free pool table which we made much use of! I met some of my group for the Fraser tour the night I got there, then met all the rest at the safety briefing the next day.

The first night started with a walk organised by the hostel up to a big sandblow, which had pretty spectacular views. We took a few boomerangs up there and had a go with them, and also watched the sunset, then went back to the hostel and played some pool.

The next day I just spent chilling again, playing more pool, and then going to the safety briefing for Fraser. I met the rest of the group, 28 strong, in the briefing and found out who was in my car. We did the paperwork and then went back to relaxing, ultimately ending up in the bar again!

Up early next morning, and after packing the cars we got the ferry over to Fraser. We first headed to Lake Mackenzie, a big freshwater lake in the middle of the forest with white sandy beaches. Most people went swimming and played around, and afterwards we got some lunch. Once we had finished lunch, it was off to the campsite to set up. There wasn't much else to do, so everyone got the goon out. I can't stand the stuff, so I was on beer, and then we pulled out the cards and got going on the drinking games!

It was up early next morning, which wasn't a popular choice, but we went off to Eli Creek. It's a little freshwater creek that runs down to the ocean, and you can go swimming down it, which most people did. It's a nice little place, but it got cold when you got out into the wind.

Next stop was the Maheno wreck, a shipwreck that been washed up on the beach for 70 odd years, and we got a good few photos, before heading up to Champagne Pools these are saltwater pools in the rocks just above the sea, and when high tide comes they get filled in that way. We went swimming, but the weather took a turn, and all our stuff got soaked in the shower. We weren't there too long as a result, but by the time we were back at the cars, it was nice and sunny again.

A spot of lunch, and then to Indian Head, where we climbed up to the top of the cliffs and looked out for any sea life down below. It also gave a good view of the beach, and we got some good photos, before going back to the campsite and getting dinner. And then drinking again. Of course :P. The moon was out in full that night, and it was really beuatiful to watch the moonlight on the waves crashing onto the beach.

Again up early for the final day, most of us with goonovers, and off to Lake Wabby, which was a longer walk than expected from the car. It took a good 20 minutes to get there, and it had another big sandblow up the top. We spent a couple of hours recovering and swimming, before going back to the cars and going off for some lunch. After that, it was back to the ferry and return the cars. We all couldn't wait for a shower, so once we had checked in again, we were all over them. And tehn down to the bar for dinner and a night out!

It was karaoke night, and we had an awesome time, but this morning my voice was unrecognisable after I had thrashed out about 7 songs last night! I've been drinking for about 5 nights now, so I'm thinking it's time to give my liver a break :)

I'm in Noosa now, caught the bus down, and I'll be spending a couple of nights here relaxing. It's a really nice hostel, well furnished and great facilities, so it should be good!

Hope everyone is well, see you soon! xxx

About jtmoughton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.