Existing Member?

Crikey! Jamie's gone down under!

Byron Bay, Surf Camp, Sydney, Melbourne and Home

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 13 June 2011 | Views [289]

As probably all of you are aware, I am back home now, so this will be my last post.

After Noosa, I went to Byron Bay, which was a nice relaxing place to spend 4 days. Most nights I was out drinking, as is customary in Byron, but during the days there is not much to do except go to the beach and walk up to the lighthouse, which was actually a pretty nice walk. All in all, I had fun in Byron, making some good friends, and going to the world renowned Cheeky Monkeys bar, although it wasn't as good as it had been made out to be :S There was also a bushtucker walk with a guy called Cockatoo Paul, due to the pet cockatoo on his shoulder, and he taught us about some of the basic survival techniques using traditional Australian plants, as well as how to throw a traditional Aboriginal spear.

Next was Spot X Surf Camp, which I only spent a day at to get an improver surf lesson, and boy did it help. The instructor just did a tweak of the technique I was already using, and I was up on almost every wave I went for! Great stuff, and the food provided was fantastic too. It was a shame I didn't get to spend longer there really, the reason being because I had to go to Sydney for a flight to Melbourne.

In Melbourne, I stayed with family and friends, seeing them for one last time before I went home, and I was there for a total of a week, before having to fly back to Sydney for my flight home. It was a really good way to spend my last week in Oz, and I hope I get to see the family again at some point.

Only a couple more nights were spent in Sydney, before an early start off to the airport for my flight home. The first flight was pretty good, especially as I was put up in a very nice South Korean hotel room overnight by the airline, with 3 meals, all as part of the ticket price!! How good is that?! The next day and I was back on a plane, and I couldn't wait to get home. The flight wasn't too bad at all, but when we landed I just couldn't wait to get off and see my family again. Needless to say, my bag came off the belt pretty much last before I could go and give the family a huge hug.

I loved being in Australia, I had the time of my life, I really did, but boy am I glad to be home. I was ready. Travelling alone can get lonely sometimes, because despite being forced to make new friends, they are only around for a week tops. It's been 7 months, which is a good whack, but it was time for me to come back, because there really is no place like home :)

About jtmoughton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.