Existing Member?

Crikey! Jamie's gone down under!

Adventure Stuff in Cairns

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 26 November 2010 | Views [589] | Comments [2]

Things have really picked up!! On Wednesday, we went whitewater rafting, which was really good fun. Went over some crazy rapids and jumped off a big rock into the water. Was great fun. Fell out once though when we went over one of the last rapids, but had such a good time otherwise. Only downside is that I now have a buoyancy aid burnt into my back and shoulders from when the sun came out in the afternoon after lunch and I hadn't put on any suncream. Taking a shower bloody hurts!!

On Thursday, Trevor and Shaun went off for a snorkelling trip to the reef, but I stayed behind and got a long lie in because I already did it on holiday in August. Will be doing a scuba course at some point too, so it's all good. Spent the day doing practical stuff, like my laundry, cos I had completely run out of clean drawers! So I went to wash them, I put the clothes and the powder and the moeny in and started it. Only to then realise I had just put everything in the dryer. DUH.

Managed to find some work for the 3 of us, we'll be fruit picking about 1 1/2 hours outside Cairns for about a month, which is desperately needed as the money has started to run low, and we start on Monday. We went out to a sports bar in the evening to watch the ManU vs. Rangers match ( to which I already knew the score, but Trevor, a Rangers fan, had managed to avoid so far). Needless to say he was a teeny weeny itsy bitsy bit annoyed at the outcome!!

And today, I have just done one of the most exhilarating things of my life!! Jumped off a 50m bungee tower - twice! It was absolutely incredible, I managed to get a water touch, so my head and shoulders were submerged in the pool below right at the bottom of the jump. I loved it so much that I went again, this time for a running jump off the roof! I got a DVD, and I'm sending it home, so those of you who want to see it, you'll need to go and see mum and dad :) The roof jump harness REALLY hurt my sunburn though!

I was due to be skydiving from 14,000ft (60 second freefall) this afternoon, but the weather has been so rainy and cloudy that they had to call it off :( Have to try again tomorrow, but I suppose spreading the adrenaline out is probably a good thing!


So that's what I've been up to recently! Only a couple of people seem to be commenting, so please can the rest of you keep me updated with what's new with you and what's going on back home!! Thank you! xxx

Comments

1

Hi Jamie, all sounds very good! Cairns has some great surfing beaches,so what's goin' on dude? Get down the beach and ride some of those beauties which have travelled hundreds of miles to come and see you, ha ha!
We had a boys weekend at N Devon, and surfed in 13 deg water, bbrrrrr!! It was fun to get in, but 3 1/2 hrs was a bit long. Arms falling off and all that. Looking forward to the summer, with a trip to Francefor 2 weeks of fun waves. Anyway, enjoy all that comes your way, and we'll see how good your surfing has got when you come back! ha ha! Uncle Andy.

  Uncle Andy Nov 27, 2010 5:33 AM

2

This all sounds amazing and I am so jealous! Also jealous of the fact that it is possible for you to get sunburnt as there is a tiny layer of snow outside - just shows how cold it is! I take it you're sending that DVD home so you don't lose it? But we will probably put it on on Christmas day to show the family :) Missing you xxx

  Yvette Nov 27, 2010 10:33 PM

About jtmoughton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.