Existing Member?

Crikey! Jamie's gone down under!

The MacDonnells and Cairns

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 21 November 2010 | Views [206]

We went out to the MacDonnell range like I said we would, and we had a blast. Stopped off at a place called Simpsons Gap was was pretty cool, but then moved on to a place called Ellery Creek, which was amazing. It's a watering hole in a gap in the rock, and it was such a cool place. The rocks were massive, and there was just a big gap inbetween each side, with a really sheer face, and we were able to go swimming in the watering hole. It was so cool, and the scenery was stunning. `After swimming around for a bit, we got back in the car and headed back to Alice Springs (a good hours drive away) and went to a place called Heavitree, a kind of motel resort in Alice. Once there, we were able to buy a bag of pellets from reception, and go out to the car park. To do what, I hear you ask? To feed the Rock Wallabies of course!! It was so cool the wallabies were so cute, but kinda vicious too!! Their claws were so sharp, and they were clawing away at my arms to try and get the food I was holding. The best part was when a wallaby with a joey in its pouch came for food. It was unbelieveable, and I've got great photos of me feeding it and the joey sticking out the pouch. The joey was sooooo small and cutte, an it was just hanging out whilst its mum was eating out of my hand!! Had such a good time.

We spent the next day bumming around at the hostel, waiting for the shuttle to the airport at 3.15, and then went to Cairns. The hostel in Cairns is a big complex, with a bar and restaurant across from the actual accommodation, and we spent most of the first night there saying hi and then bye to a few of the girls who were leaving the next morning.

On Monday, we were just booking a lot of our activities up, so later on this week, I'm due to be white water rafting, bungee jumping and skydiving, and we also provisionally booked scuba diving on Magnetic Island where we will be spending christmas and new year. I'm absolutely bricking the bungee jumping, but I'm looking forward to it so much at the same time! We went out again on Monday night, but none of us were really up to it at first. It was weird, we were just really quiet. So we went for a quiet drink at an Irish pub that we like, and met a few others from ozintro there. We moved on to the hostel bar again later on where we met some girls that were staying in our room, and once the bar closed at 2am, we all went back up to the room. We didn't properly get up the next morning til 1pm, and having got up and got lunch, we're now really quite bored. There's not an awful lot to do, so we're just looking for jobs at the moment and passing the time.

Hope you're all well and good, and looking forward to christmas. I just haven't thought about christmas at all cos the weather just isn't right for that!! It's so weird. Its currently 29C and 100% humidity, so we're sweating our balls off!

See you all later ;) xxx

 

About jtmoughton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.