Existing Member?

Crikey! Jamie's gone down under!

Living In The 'Burbs

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 9 February 2011 | Views [302]

The sharehouses I saw on Monday night were awful. About 30/40 people between 8 or 9 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Not good. Too much like hostel living for me. So that was a no go.

I ended up moving in with Karen and family on Tuesday, which is out in the eastern suburbs. Went to watch Mitch play basketball that night, and the team thrashed the opposition 81-19. I think I'm the good luck charm, cos they've played 2 matches since and whipped the other teams. Didn't do too much on Wednesday, had a look at another couple of places on the net and had a look round, nothing really going. Thursday was the same, but in the evening I went for dinner with Linda and Mario and met Linda's 2 sons.

On Friday, I found a job opening in the local shopping centre, Knox, and sent my CV in, and then ended up going to Knox with Mitch and his girlfriend Bec in the afternoon, where I bought a pair of trainers and found another job opening in the shoe store, which looked promising. So on Saturday, I gave the shoe store my CV, and kind of halted my house-hunt there, waiting for replies. The next few days I spent doing not very much, just watching films, which was a mistake, because I got very bored whilst everyone was at work. We went out on Saturday night, Mitch, Bec, Neal and I, into Melbourne and had a good time, but I was shocked by the $80 cab ride home!!

On Tuesday night, I got the nudge that I needed from Steve, talking about how the suburbs weren't the place for a gap year traveller, and that I was wasting my time here. He was right. I'd settled in way too much and lost focus, so today, I spent the day looking for places to live, with lots of Bec's help and company (it was good to finally have someone around during the day!)and she drove me into the city to have a look round a couple of places on her way home.

The first place was a bit messy on the outside, there had been a bit of flood damage, but once we got in it wasn't too bad. The stairs needed a bit of a hoover, but otherwise, it wasn't too bad. The second however, was pretty awful. The second you stepped in the house, there was an TERRIBLE smell, it just hit you like a wave, and we couldn't wait to high tail it outta there! So as soon as we were gone, I phoned up the first place and said "Yes please!", and I'm now moving in tomorrow! It's a 4 bedroom place, with 2 in a room, and a brilliant location right in the middle of the apparently infamous Chapel St, where there should be plenty of jobs, and it's a better environment for me to be in. So this time tomorrow, I will be in my first houseshare!! Catch you later guys xxxxxxxx

About jtmoughton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.