Existing Member?

Crikey! Jamie's gone down under!

Fruit Picking in the Arse End of Nowhere

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 30 November 2010 | Views [380] | Comments [1]

So we made it to the fruit picking hostel, and its not too bad. Bit expensive, but they do find work for you and transport you there, so its alright. All the shops had closed by the time we had checked in, and the nearest supermarket is the next town over, 4km away and there are no buses or taxis so you have to walk. We ended up just catching the takeaway shop before it closed and bought some bread and crisps for breakfast and lunch the next day.

On the first day, I was up at 4.30am to get the bus at 5.10, having had 1 hour's sleep because the guy on top of me snored like a freight train. It was UNBELIEVEABLE how loud this guy is! But I got my 2 slices of bread for breakfast, and we headed out to pick lychees, which is some of the most boring work you could ever do. 6.5 hours of just picking lychees over and over! Then lunch, then 3.5 hours of destemming them. If you buy a lychee product, the chances are that I picked it!! Managed to get back to the hostel for about 6.15, and a dutch guy called Steve and I started the walk to the supermarket. In the middle of a tropical thunderstorm. In the dark, on a road with no pavement and trying to hitch a lift. In hindsight, it wasn't the best idea, but we really needed food! We had absolutely none! A guy picked us up about half a kilometre out. and we spent the next minute or so lying down in the back of a ute with the umbrella over us keeping the rain off.

We got our food and headed to the check out, where we LOUDLY started talking about how we had to walk back and how we weren't looking forward to it, and surprise surprise, the woman in front offered us a lift! We were so pleased, we REALLY didn't want to walk back with all our shopping. Once we got back, we started cooking dinner, and its not the best place to try and cook, but we managed alright. Went and got a hot shower after that, we really needed it, and then jsut chilled out for abit before going to bed at 10ish. Steve is a plasterer back home so he gave me some ear plugs which really helped with the snorer! 

I got up this morning at 5am, only to find that my work was postponed due to the weather, so I thought I'd come and let you all know that its not all fun and games out here! Its been great up til now, but this is where it starts to get a bit boring. Necessary, but boring. Anyway, got to work soon, so I hope the cold and the snow is not too much for you all! Over and out! xxx

Dad - I have been keeping up with sport, I didn't get a chance to watch the 5th day, but i saw the 4th and that was good! Good result though, brilliant stand by Cook and Trott! Not too great by England in the rugby, but there we go. I haven't had any bragging rights, I haven't been around a lot of Australians, you don't really get them in backpacker hostels. But good news from Wasps, its finally starting to pick up! Hope all is good with you.

Joe - Just answered you're first question! But also mangoes as well at some point. Didn't see any dingoes, but we did hear some when camping. No sharks yet, but there's still time. I will be going to Fraser Island at some point, but I don't think provoking a dingo is the best idea really! How is work going, alright? Good to hear from you, hope you're enjoying the snow!

 

Comments

1

Nice, there's a town called Watsonville on that map.
xx

  Vegan Jan 28, 2011 1:07 PM

About jtmoughton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.