Existing Member?

Where's Jonny? Care to dine with me? You would think that 11 years of daily food tasting for a living might put me off?......au contraire! Chomp away with me across 6 continents. Seduced like a bloodhound to the scent of good food, I anticipate the misty waft of steaming broths, the satisfying crunch of mudbugs and the vibrant aroma of freshly pulverised lemongrass. Buon appetito

What happened to Bernie Clifton?

CHILE | Friday, 17 August 2007 | Views [1226]

12 hrs on a plane and 19 hrs time difference.  Like a Time Lord, I had arrived in Santiago, Chile before I left Auckland.  At one point I passed myself on the plane.  Bizarre.

I wandered around the capital in a daze on the Ascension of the Virgin (a public holiday)  There were clowns everywhere.  Now I´m not sure what they have to do with a Catholic celebration but Chileans obviously like them.  They certainly have enough restaurants using a clown as a symbol.

It appears that every city in the world follows a similar routine these days for street entertainment.  Is there some convention where they agree the same format??  So the ¨Plaza de Armas,¨ in Santiago is no exception.

Basically the, ¨entertainer,¨ stands very still in their costume until the jingle of coins are thrown into their bucket.  Upon hearing this, they spring into action in whatever form that may take.  Its all so BORING.

However, I did watch a clown yesterday who´s cunning performance at least demonstrated an element of creativity.

He sat on what appeared to be a large bull. (like the ones you ride in those western themed bars.)  Not so, for any fan of Bernie Clifton will know, it was really his own legs hidden beneath the long draped saddle.

The money was inevitably thrown in and off went the rodeo. Yeehaaa 

Quite entertaining.  Well for 2 minutes at least.

Bernie Clifton by the way, (for those under the age of 32) was famous in England for riding an Emu where his actual legs were the feet and false limbs created a cunning illusion he was on the back. 

He was also famous for..............err nothing else.

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.