Existing Member?

Where's Jonny? Care to dine with me? You would think that 11 years of daily food tasting for a living might put me off?......au contraire! Chomp away with me across 6 continents. Seduced like a bloodhound to the scent of good food, I anticipate the misty waft of steaming broths, the satisfying crunch of mudbugs and the vibrant aroma of freshly pulverised lemongrass. Buon appetito

and the weather today is....(part 2)

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 25 June 2007 | Views [1121]

......arriving in Cairns after 12 thousand miles of non-stop sugar cane plantation the sun seemed to want to reveal itself.

It did...........for 5 measeley minutes..........then returned like a spoiled child behind grey clouds.

While most travellers are purchasing suncream at this time of year, we've been to the Cairns Mountaineering shop for ski jackets!    Substantial purchases were actually made including thermasls, Gore Tex stuff and gloves.  We now look like we're being sponsored by Colombia clothing.  Next destination (Christchurch) is snowing. 

Even pouring, Tropical Cairns is a full of colour.  Vibrant greens from the sugar canes, their feather-like top waving to me as they jostle in the wind.  The rugged moutains that surround the city are full of life and exotic noises I've only ever heard on tarzan movies. 

The campsite (although the most expensive) is actually situated in a 3.5 acres of tropical National Park.  Lake Placid (which I'm sure they used for a horror movie) is alongside and boasts loads of jungle walks.

An open-air, stainless steel and darkwood kitchen on site could have been designed for Jamie Oliver whilst the bogs are clean as a whistle.  I almost feel guilty about crapping in them.

This laid back city manages a night time buzz too owing to the plethora of young people.  On the main Esplanade theres a posh salt water lagoon (an infinity pool really) is FREE and very cool.  This is easily the best place since Noosa.

On the flip side Maria seems to get a raw deal from any place with creepies.  She was cruelly stung between the breasts by a paper wasp (species confirmed by reception) as we trekked the National Park.  Yelping and flapping her arms in the air she seemed to be indicating a pain in the chest area.  I'm no doctor but I tried my best to locate the problem. 

Unable to help I could only watch as she ripped off her top half by the side of the road - much to the bemusement of other walkers. 

A nasty rash developed but the pain subsided fairly quickly.  It could have been so much worse!

I'm learning much more about Australian nature and the Aussies themselves.  I now know the difference between a Kookaburra and a Cassawary.  I recently discovered 2 HUGE Rhinocerous beetles in the Campsite toilets.  Some visiting Aussies asked what I was doing in the Gents, at night, with my camera.  However my explaination seemed to work when I pointed up.  "I wouldn't want to meet his old fella," said one bloke.

We've been meeting some friendly old folks on the Campsites.  (and most of them ARE old)  Whilst relaying our Bulldog ant story (and the fact they can jump 2 feet) one Aussie (who'd been bitten) said that if they sting you on the a*se, you are guranteed to jump more than 2 feet.

We cooked dinner in Imgham with another Aussie from WA (check out my acronyms) who was in search of the fabled Ulysees butterfly.  Its irredescent blue with black wing tips.  Well guess what landed in my sandwich yesterday?  Thats a lie - but I have seen one in Cairns.

I've found that Aussies love mowing the lawn and they like to tell macho stories over dinner.  From the looks/comments I've been getting it seems that male Aussies (with the exception of the BBQ) don't cook. 

Still awaiting better weather so we can do the Barrier reef and wear shorts..... 

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.