Existing Member?

Where's Jonny? Care to dine with me? You would think that 11 years of daily food tasting for a living might put me off?......au contraire! Chomp away with me across 6 continents. Seduced like a bloodhound to the scent of good food, I anticipate the misty waft of steaming broths, the satisfying crunch of mudbugs and the vibrant aroma of freshly pulverised lemongrass. Buon appetito

The man, the mystery, the Empire

SINGAPORE | Wednesday, 23 May 2007 | Views [987]

For just one day I yearn to be where I am now but 100 years ago.  Sauntering Singapores streets in the well preserved Colonnial district I ponder the glitz and glamour, the Victorian garb, the pomp and ceremony, the port and cigars, the gentlemanly manners, the Britishness.

Sir Thomas Stamford Bingley Raffles - now there's a name.  Why didn't my parents call me that?  The name bellows grandeur even though he came from ordinary stock.  But, he was never destined to be a rat-catcher with that name was he?

Like a surfer to clean, white waves I am drawn to the Temple of British colonnialism that is Raffles Hotel. 

"Where else would one partake in the Singapore sling," is the catchphrase used on porcelein mugs, bookmarks and posters.  Where indeed?

Wandering through the many white arches and teracotta tiled floors of Raffles I discover an atmosphere of sedate charm.  Large courtyards of exotic foliage provide shelter frot the traffic outside.  Men in impeccable uniforms wait to serve cocktails.  Chubby green coloured pillars hold together the 2 upper floors, contrasting with the brilliant white building.  Fans continue their quiet revolve as they have done for 120 years.

A faint chink of silverware can be heard from the lobby.  High tea is being served.   I become nostalgic and sentimental.   Where else can you find "Cads corner," "the Empire room," "The Divan."  This place has true character.

As I walk I imagine the outlandishly dressed gents gracing the floors smoking pipes and cigarettes with holders attached.  These were my ancestors............Or were they?

I then consider my part Irish background and the fact that I am not of the social class that would have been able to patronise such an establishment.  Maybe I'm lucky that today I can pop to the Long bar and drink a sherry?  

Sir Thomas never lived to enjoy the grand establishment that would take his surname.  He died of a suspected brain haemorrage(aged only 44) 61 years before it opened. 

In his life, he had contributed greatly to British society.  A keen naturalist he founded the London zoological society and named new animal species in the region (many of which are still legitimate today) He avidly fought the slave trade and was fluent in the Malay language.  In 1917 he published a book called, The History of Java for which he was Knighted.

Most importantly, he is the founder of modern day Singapore which he colonnised in 1819.  (it became independent in 1965) His legacy however, will continue.

As you might expect, the chap was a little eccentric at times and had many exotic pets.  His sunbear would often eat with him and drink champagne at the table.  Good man!

I think Sir Thomas would have appreciated the hotel and the decadence it still symbolises today.  I would have loved to have "partaken," port with the man whilst discussing issues of the state. 

Maybe I could have shown him some of my wildlife photographs?

Notes 

Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles (1781-1826)

Raffles hotel opened in 1887.

British arrival 1819

Independence 1965 (from Malaysia)

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.