Existing Member?

Where's Jonny? Care to dine with me? You would think that 11 years of daily food tasting for a living might put me off?......au contraire! Chomp away with me across 6 continents. Seduced like a bloodhound to the scent of good food, I anticipate the misty waft of steaming broths, the satisfying crunch of mudbugs and the vibrant aroma of freshly pulverised lemongrass. Buon appetito

Jonny's Top 10 cambodian dishes

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 2 May 2007 | Views [3442]

1. Fish Amok- you have to try the national dish served in a hand-stiched banana leaf bowl -  but beware, I have found huge variances in the standard.  A good one is thick (traditionally eaten with fingers) balanced with noticeable galangal and lemongrass.  Coconut should be the supporting act not the lead role.

2.  Exotic fruit.  I recommend the following indigenous treats - mangosteen, Cambodian sour grapes (served in a sweet chilli sauce)Pomelo, durian and Jackfruit.  Maybe even dragonfruit.

3. Laap or Lab.  Served warm, a delicious mix of minced pork or chicken with beansprouts, lime leaf and lime juice.  Its served with rice.

4. Eel hotpot - in fact any hotpot is an amazing experience.  Expect the dish to be served in the middle of the table on a burner.  Just pop in your raw vegetables and watch it bubble back to the boil.  Freshwater fish here is great and eels are common.  Eat larger ones as baby eels should not be fished.

5. Frog - Frog is incredibly meaty and lean.  It tastes delicious just cooked simply.  I recommend char-grilled.

6. Prahok with raw veggies.  Another dish eaten everywhere in Cambodia, Prahok is made with fermented anchovies and can be quite strong.  There are different kinds so check them out as some are balanced with lime juice or coconut.

7. Sugarcane juice - pure street food this stuff is crushed to extract the juice on every street corner.  Its best mixed with mandarin juice or another citrus variety.

8. Mekong catfish - typically chargrilled in a split piece of bamboo they are very meaty and delicious.

9. Bor Bor - simply a great porrigey breakfast with your choice of meat.  The stock is amazing.

10. Buykdaing Khmer - if you like the idea of chewy cheese and onion crisps then this is the savoury snack for you.  A huge bowl shape, everyone picks at it with their fingers.  A must try.  Walkers must have stolen the idea.

Tags: Food & eating

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.