Existing Member?

Where's Jonny? Care to dine with me? You would think that 11 years of daily food tasting for a living might put me off?......au contraire! Chomp away with me across 6 continents. Seduced like a bloodhound to the scent of good food, I anticipate the misty waft of steaming broths, the satisfying crunch of mudbugs and the vibrant aroma of freshly pulverised lemongrass. Buon appetito

killing fields

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 22 April 2007 | Views [869]

My short stories tend to have a humorous slant. This particular story however cannot.

3 million people (my brothers and sisters of the world) were murdered in this country in a terrible genocide lasting 3 years.

I visited an infamous place this morning where 17,000 people were horribly and unjustifiably executed.  In the early 1970s a longan fruit orchard became a place holding 129 mass graves.  Tne regime that killed them wanted to eradicate anyone with intelligence and replace them with subserviant peasant workers.

I didn't want to experience the killing fields of Choeung Ek, but knew I had to, it would otherwise feel like denying the country (and world)its sad history.  This was a demonstration of how low the human spirit can descend.

I anticipated being disturbed by the sight of several thousand human skulls bludgeoned by rifle butts and other blunt instruments.  However, I was unaware of the many children that were murdered there too.  The thick trunk of a still living tree was a place where children were put up against and tortured before being thrown into a pit.  Writing this I am on the verge of tears.

Ironically I could hear the happy laughs of children playing nearby on their weekend.

Another tree housed a loudspeaker where music was played at high volume to drown out the screams of those being executed.

I wandered somberly, hat in hand, around the mass graves, most of which still have pieces of clothing half-buried in the ground.  Bones are visible, protruding from the earth everywhere.  I was happy to be alive but sickened and angry at what occurred.

The area was far smaller than I had imagined.  So many bodies crammed into tiny oblong pits. The place feels barely touched, except for a large memorial spire, which is how it should be - a place for respects and a reminder for future generations.

I pray there will never be a re-occurence. (but feel that I am being naaive.)

Tags: People

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.