Existing Member?

Where's Jonny? Care to dine with me? You would think that 11 years of daily food tasting for a living might put me off?......au contraire! Chomp away with me across 6 continents. Seduced like a bloodhound to the scent of good food, I anticipate the misty waft of steaming broths, the satisfying crunch of mudbugs and the vibrant aroma of freshly pulverised lemongrass. Buon appetito

Italian Stallions

THAILAND | Friday, 13 April 2007 | Views [1124]

Not many people will have sampled as many ice creams as myself - unless your name happens to be Ben or maybe Jerry.

My boss, Chaz (aka Mr Incredible) runs 15 miles every morning in order to burn off ice cream calories.  I personally find that stress , anxious fidgeting and irritable bowel syndrome have much the same effect in keeping me slim too.

Over in Koh Lanta JJ and I scootered like a pair of Italian Stallions to an ice cream parlour on a day when the Thais complained of the heat.  The clickety Cicada-chorus became ear-deafeningly loud as we rode in our Bermudas around the island.

Pulling up like the guys from "Chips" we immediately felt the refreshing air conditioned blow as the door opened.  We immediately headed to the ice cream counter where a multitude of decisions awaited. 

JJ ordered incorrectly and I told him so.  He opted for something like Malteaser flavour and vanilla scoop.  What a dope!  I on the other hand went for locally made "Nam Dok Mai" variety mango and a scoop of young coconut ice cream.

JJ conceeded his mistake when he tried some of mine.  His eyebrows lwft his head like Penfolds from Dangermouse. (only readers aged over 30 will get this) 

"WOW! mmmmmm delicioso, bellissimo, fantastico!" (he didn't say) - but he was very impressed.

My scoops were Pavarotti and Bocelli singing in harmony.  The duck-egg-orange mango, more of a sorbet actually, was dense and full of Pavarottis intense, base notes.  Its flavour was long on the palate like the ending in Nessum Dorma.

By contrast, my meringue-white, young coconut ice cream was unlike any coconut I have ever tasted.  It was not terribly sweet or typically toasty like older coconuts.  This was fresh, lightly creamy with the squeezed essence of a young, green nut.  Like the voice of Bocelli it increased to a beautiful, mellow crescendo then whisped away at the end.

They were the ultimate pairing.  A tropical typhoon of taste.

"O sole mio," I sang as I departed the shop with JJ.  I'd be back for more.

    

Tags: Food & eating

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.