Existing Member?

John's Adventures

Land Ho!

USA | Wednesday, 4 January 2017 | Views [223]

On land again. The ship docked around 6:00. I was awake since around 4:00. The seas were a bit rough last night and kept  ‘rockin the bed’. Kevin called at 6 to check on me and then came down a bit later to give me some cash for my Sydney stay. I tried to go back to sleep, but it didn’t happen. Room service came around 8:30, so it was time to get up. I had a leisurely breakfast of muffin and yogurt.

Finally about 9:00 I took a shower, dressed and finished packing. The room stewarts were kind enough to honor the privacy please sign, but the wine steward insisted on checking and restocking the room. Then the water guy came in to stock the water bottles. I decided to just leave. A bit annoyed, but decided to not let it bother me. I was planning on staying in the room until 10, so I didn’t have to wait at the hotel to check in.

The cue for a taxi was quite long. There were 2 ships in the harbors today. The Noordam and Celebrity’s Solstice. I didn’t get to the hotel until after 11:00, but they let me check in as the room was ready. I unpacked what I would need for the 2 days and then laid down to take a nap. I was a bit tired and wanted to rest awhile, before I got on the HopOn-HopOff bus.

About 1:30 I walked the 2.5 blocks to the Central Train Station where I was to pick up the bus. 2 people told me incorrectly where it stops, so I missed the first one. The ride was fun and I saw lots of places. It still isn’t as exciting as the European ones, probably because they have more distinctive and older buildings. Not to mention a few hundred more years of history.

When I finished the tour, I came back to the hotel and downloaded files and check messages. Not much going on with people, so I headed out for dinner. I saw a Spanish restaurant with Tapas that I wanted, but they are closed for a remodel or something. I walked about a block from the hotel and saw a hotel/pub called Maloney’s. The beers looked cold and inviting. I stopped for 150 Lashes, that’s the name of the beer. It was very good. They had a kitchen that served some pub food, so I decided to try a pizza. They have a combo pizza with lamb, onions, shrimp, chicken and piri piri sauce. It was very good. I’m glad I tried it.

I came back to the room to work on the blog and get to bed a bit early. I want to do the Bondi bus route tomorrow and also Hyde Park. I am planning on catching the 9:20 bus. We’ll see if I get up early enough for breakfast and a bus ride.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.