Existing Member?

John's Adventures

Port Vila

USA | Monday, 26 December 2016 | Views [231]

This Monday the ship docked in Port Vila Efate, Vanuatu.  It is another small city/town on an island.  Two years ago a cyclne came through here and caused a lot of damage.  The city took a direct hit.  We could see the boats sill washed up and partially sunk on the beaches. 

We took a water taxi to the city center.  It was just a small rowboat with a motor.  For me, it was very scary to get into the boat.  First, there were some steep stairs with big drops, then there was getting in a small boat that acted like it wanted to run away when it saw me.  I did manage to get in and made it to the other side.  Getting out was a bit easier for me as the steps weren’t so high.  Joe however, tripped on the edge of the boat and took a slight fall on the concrete.  Fortunately he wasn't hurt, but it made me be more careful.

From the landing we walked down the street, looking in a few stores.  They all sold the same kind of trinkets.  No one bought anything.  We did see a T-shirt from Long Beach Gay Pride.  It was a shirt given to the volunteers at the event.  How it made it to Port Vila is a mystery.  I wanted to go ask about it, but that store was closed.  Many stores were closed today as it is their Boxing Day Holiday.

We walked a bit further and found a restaurant / coffee shop offering free WiFi.  We ordered smoothies and milk shakes (all very good).  After checking mail and doing some online things, we got up to leave.  At the front of the restaurant, we ran into a gay couple from the LGBT group who we know played bridge.  We arranged a 2:00 game on the ship. 

Kevin wanted to take the water taxi back and Joe and I wanted no part of that, so we grabbed a ground taxi.  It was a rickety old VW bus with seats that were very hard to get in and out of for old men.  We did however, like the more secure ride back to the ship.  Just as we got to the drop off for the ship, it started to rain.  By the time we walked the approximate 1 block to the ship, we were soaked.  Luckily, we didn't melt or sustain any injuries.  Arriving at the ship, Joe went to the Lido for lunch and I went to the room to change my shirt.  I joined Joe a few minutes later.  We visited until about 1:45.  I headed to the bridge game on Deck 3 and Joe went to the room.

The bridge game with Alan and Albert (they are from Sydney) was fun.  Just an easy social game and a bit of visiting.  At 4:00 Kevin and I went to Happy Hour at the Crow's Next and the other two went to their rooms.  We were joined by Gay and Joe shortly after we arrived.  Starting at 5:00 the shops were having some kind of sale, so Joe, Gary and I stopped in on the way to our staterooms.  There was nothing worth buying, or at least nothing we wanted to buy, so everyone continued on their way.  I went to my room to work on the blog and change for dinner.

Dinner was in the Vista Dining Hass as usual.  Duck Confit and English Roast Beef for me, followed by 2 desserts.  Crème Brulee and Rhubarb Crisp, couldn't resist them tonight.  I have been trying to skip the sweets so that all my clothes fit at the end of the trip.  I was doing well until tonight...oh, I am on a cruise.

From there it was the Casino.  I should have gone to bed.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.