Existing Member?

John's Adventures

Going to Sydney

USA | Tuesday, 20 December 2016 | Views [113]

Today was an early day for me.  I had to get up at 4:30 to catch a shuttle transfer bus to the Southern Cross Station.  Kevin got up early too so he could help me take my luggage to the hotel where I was to catch the shuttle.  He had called and scheduled the pickup for 6:00 AM.   We said a quick good bye and he headed back to the apartment to pack for the cruise.  He and Joe are taking the same transportation to the airport, but they don't leave until 10:00 AM.

It only took about 20 minutes to get to the station and from there I transferred to the Sky Bus and it took me to the airport.  I arrived at the airport at 7:00 AM.   I was dropped off right at the Quantas terminal and it was a quick ride up the escalator to check-in.  I was able to use the kiosk check-in and it was very simple.  I didn't have to wait to check-in or to check the suitcase.  Security was a breeze also.  Only one person ahead of me.  When I got through security I called Kevin and told him I had arrived and everything went smoothly.   He asked me to call the hotel to see if they had an airport shuttle, but they don't.  The clerk told me to just take a shuttle for about 16.00.

I had  an hour and a half to kill so I just relaxed at the gate.  The plane left a bit late, but it didn't matter to me.  However, my seat mate on the flight was going to Capetown South Africa and had only 20 or 30 minutes to transfer terminals and catch his flight.  I was glad I didn't have to stress out for this trip.

I arrived at Sydney and went immediately to the baggage claim.  Down there, I spoke with a transportation aid and he said to just take the train.  It stops at Sydney Central, just 3 block from our hotel.  I thought I would try that.  My bag was the second one out and I commented to the guy next to me about the good luck and it turns out his was the first one out.  We were both happy.

I went down to the train area and had to buy a ticket.  It was 17.50 for a one way pass.  I then had to go down one more level to the platform.  The train came in only 3 minutes (they run every 10) and found a seat where I could handle my luggage.  Central Station is only 3 stops from the airport.  I got off the train and walked to the hotel.  It was about 4 blocks from where I got off the platform to the hotel.   Check-in at the hotel was a snap and I was able to go right up to my room.

I called Kevin and told him about taking the train.  He and Joe did just that and they too didn't have any problems.  The train also stops about 3 blocks from the cruise terminal, but we decided to cab it tomorrow morning.  Just a bit too much walking with luggage for us old guys.

Since I had about 3 hours until Kevin and Joe arrived, I took my first nap of the trip.  I was tired from not sleeping much last night.  When Kevin and Joe arrived we met in the lobby to plan our evening.  We decided to walk down to Darling Harbor for dinner.  The hotel clerk showed us the way and it was about a 15 minute walk, well...it's a 15 minute walk for normal people.  Us it took a bit longer, but it was a pleasant journey.   There were some hills, which I hate, but managed.

Darling Harbor is an area with lots of restaurants and things to do.  The restaurants are in an area called Cockle Bay Warf, which is a very nice.  We stopped at 'Baia The Italian' and had 2 Old Fashion Cocktails.  The first one was the best we had ever had, the second good, but not as good as the first.  Different bartender made the second.  Kevin had a couple of cokes.  It was happy hour so reasonable priced, for a tourist area. 

We decided to eat at "My Angus" steak house.  I had the BBQ ribs, Joe had the tenderloin and Kevin had gnocchi. All very good.  Joe and I  shared a calamari starter and he gave me a bit of his salad.  All were very tasty.

We walked home and lucky for us there is a pedestrian bridge from Darling Harbor across the road   There were escalators and that helped so we didn't have to walk up a couple of hills on the way home.  It was downhill most of the way home. 

When we got to the hotel we all went to our rooms with plans to meet at check-out and grab the cab to the cruise terminal.  A friend we met on the Panama cruise(Gary) is also going on this one and may join us at the hotel.  He gets in at 6:30 AM from Indiana.  He is also a bridge player, so we are looking forward to lots of bridge on this trip.

Tomorrow we are getting on the ship around noon with the sail-away scheduled for 6:00 PM.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.