Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

South Luanga NP, Zambia

ZAMBIA | Friday, 22 May 2009 | Views [863] | Comments [2]

I finally did a game drive.  I stayed at Flatdogs camp in S. Luanga NP in Zambia.  The campsite is actually in the bush, so wild animals wander around the camp, in between the tents and around the restaraunt/bar.  Every night, the hippos who hang out in the water at the river 50 meters from the camp would come on land and graze in the campsite.  There are guys who work at the camp, who walk around all night with spotlights, so those of us trying to go to the bathroom or to the bar don't run into a wild hippo.  I sat at the bar the first night and watched on graze no more than 15 meters from the bar.  During the day, elephants would graze in the camp, along with monkeys and baboons running around.  One monkey tried to grab my breakfast one morning.  I woke up in the middle of the night, every night I was there to hippos grazing right outside my tent.  They have tree platforms set up where you can pitch a tent.  I did that and I listened to hippos underneath at night, and elephants in the early morning.  I didn't get much sleep but it was interesting.  Despite all this action I still went out on a all day game drive with the camp to the interior of the park.  We spent all day in the bush, we saw zebra, elephant, hippo, puka, impala, waterbuck, giraffe, warthog, lions finally at night(we caught them feeding), and different birds I can't identify.  I waited intentionally for S. Luanga because the safaris in Kenya and Tanzania were way to expensive.  I bought a tent in Malawi, I've been camping since southern Malawi and it's saving me a lot of money, not to mention interesting interactions with the wildlife.  I'm in Lusaka now, I'll be heading down to Livingstone tomorrow, to Victoria Falls to find something crazy to do down there.

Tags: game drive, mfuwe, s. luanga np, zambia

Comments

1

Joe, I can't believe all the things you are doing. How wonderful an experience, you are never going to want to come back to the states. Stay safe, enjoy all those wild animals. Love you, Nan

  Nan May 24, 2009 7:29 AM

2

Joey, one time when I was young I spent a whole night in the bush ... never mind. Hey Joe, can you tell me again what the site address is that showed all the exercise videos! It was for the energy drink; but I don't remember and it got lost when I reformatted my hard drive.

  Uncle B May 29, 2009 10:49 AM

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Zambia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.