Existing Member?

Joe's World Backpacking Trip Stories and pics from my travels.

East Africa to Malawi overland blitz

TANZANIA | Friday, 15 May 2009 | Views [689] | Comments [3]

Starting from Bujumbura, Burundi on 6 May, I arrived to Lilongwe, Malawi on 13 May.  The first leg of my trip was an overcrowded minibus for about 6 hours on dirt roads through the wilderness from Buj to Kigoma, Tanzania.  The next part was a train from Kigoma to Morogoro, Tanz on the other side of the country.  That was 3 days in itself.  The train track, and the train itself is colonial era so the train went through hundreds of kilometers of unspoiled wilderness and small villages with no cars.  It was beautiful, watching the landscape change from the hilly, palm tree forested Central African region back to the Savannah wide expanses of the Eastern portion.  It made it extra fun riding on a colonial era train.  The chickens under my bunk were kind of annoying.  Chickens are a form of baggage here, so you usually have a bunch of them on whatever transport your on.  Thank god the cabin was to small to put a couple goats or something.  After Morogoro it was a bus down the whole length of Tanz to Mbeya near the Malawi and Zambia borders.  Then another bus to Mzuzu, then Lilongwe.  I'm in Blantyre now, off to Mt. Mulanje tomorrow.  Then back up then west to Zambia.  There's apparently a game park there that you can go on a walking safari to see lions.  Sounds awesome.  And it's not ridiculously expensive like in Kenya and Tanz.  Oh also, the food is good in Malawi.  In East Africa your choices are fried chicken and rice, fried chicken and french fries, or fried chicken and bananas.  No seasoning unless you consider salt a seasoning.  I was starting to go crazy.  Good meat and assortments of food here.  Can't wait to get to South Africa and get some huge bushmeat steaks.

Tags: train and bus adventure

 

Comments

1

Joey, some times I just like to write here in your blog page, just so you know that people are taking the time to read what you write and to give you incouragement to continue writing and photo-ing. So here goes - I like kittens.

UB

  Uncle B May 18, 2009 6:54 AM

2

OK seriously, this weekend I am driving to New Mexico to hike up the highest peak in NM - Wheeler Peak (a measly 13,161'). Can't get anyone to go with me so I am doing it solo. It seems pretty good; you hike to an alpine lake (called Williams Lake) then it is a free climb up the west scree slope. I wish you were doing it with me. I will put photos on my Facebook page.

UB

  Uncle B May 18, 2009 7:00 AM

3

Hello Jo Jo! I wish there were goats and chickens in my room! It sounds like a happy family to me!

  Kath May 20, 2009 2:31 PM

About joealotto13


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.