Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Back in Kathmandu!

NEPAL | Tuesday, 22 October 2013 | Views [607]

We're back safe and sound in the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu - constantly blazing horns, dusty roads, crowds of locals and tourists, and Nepali men trying to earn a quick rupee from five seconds of playing their traditional fiddle and calling it "Nepali music". 

The flight from Lukla was an experience. We were due to leave tomorrow but were told it's possible for us to leave today. So we turned up at the airport with our 30kg-in-total bags to be checked in and were told to wait. After an hour or two, it was only after seeing that we were the last and only people still waiting in the departure lounge, not checked in, that the staff quickly ushered and rushed us through check-in and security screening to wait some more for "flight no. 2".

Taking off was an exhilirating experience to say the least, knowing that Lukla has the shortest runway in the world (that ends with a big cliff drop). But we made it through wit our extra cool Nepali woman pilot. ;)

Looking out the window (Ngwang and I nabbed the first row seats), our walk came into perspective. We passed by the terraced hills of Jubhing we slaved up to get to Bupsa in hot sun and followed the hills and valleys to our starting point of Jiri. We then flew across the distance between our trek and Kathmandu. All this with the majestic Himalayas on our right at eye level, where we were just a few days ago. It was a spectacular flight that matched the great life experience I've been through the past few weeks. I can't say it's been my absolute favourite, but it definitely is a highlight with its great ups and downs. I've been challenged from all angles, almost spontaneously at times, and equally awed by scenery that is like none other. It's a life experience I won't ever forget. I've learned and grown so much.

Tags: cities, flights, himalayas, mountains, nature, sherpa, trekking

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.