Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Thoughts on Budapest :)

HUNGARY | Friday, 26 July 2013 | Views [1394]

Hungary is unique due to its location - its culture, language and history is unlike any other country in Europe. Budapest is the centre of it and is a beautiful city.

A lot of backpackers head to Budapest for two reasons - to party and to party cheaply. While the nightlife in Budapest would be cool with its many one-of-a-kind ruin pubs, there's so much more to this city than cheap booze.
 
I came to Budapest to meet an old school friend from my days in Japan. Zilia, my gorgeous Hungarian friend, and I have been keeping in touch ever since meeting each other two years ago in London. She was an excellent host, not only pointing out and showing me the highlights of her city but also recommending less visited sites, helping me with the language (which is one of the most complicated in the world!) and introducing me to the food and traditions of Hungary.
 
The city is a real beauty day and night with its two sides separated by the Danube river - Buda and Pest. Buda, is the side with more of the attractions and the views, while Pest is where the fun really is with its endless number of great ruin pubs (old houses that have been converted into pubs with interesting decor and an alternative, easy going vibe). There is a lot of history here too and although it's not very pleasant, it's definitely interesting to learn about and see how it has shaped the city.
 
Food is probably the highlight of my visit. I guess langos, a deep-fried Hungarian bread and a meal I usually have as a treat at home in Brisbane, was another motivation to go to Budapest. But of course, there's so much more than langos. Ironically, I had langos yesterday for the first time during my visit and was completely langos-ed out! Having a whole one of these heavy breads loaded with cheese for four people, is probably never a good idea.
 
Still Hungary has an interesting cuisine and I'm glad I had Zilia to show me the ropes. From spicy goulash soup to cold apricot soup, from pastry with poppy-seed paste to Turos Rudi chocolate bars (with cottage cheese!), from stuffed peppers and cabbages to amazing vegan dinners, I've eaten well in Hungary. Even on the train, I'm leaving with a bundle of food - fresh fruits, sweet pastries and some Hungarian sweets!
 

Tags: cities, european adventure, food, friends, sightseeing, trains

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.