Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

Ciao Bella!

ITALY | Monday, 17 June 2013 | Views [385]

I was feeling a little down travelling from Nice into Italy. I lost my funky tripod from San Francisco, had three train rides and a bus ride ahead of me and I was tired. I was also slightly nervous about going into Italy and experiencing a new country after being comfortable in France.
 
Surprisingly, some "Italianisms" were there to brighten my day. First, a good looking guy with a nice nose on the train smiled at me. People in Italy are so gorgeous. Second, a very cute old gentleman tried to get me off the train early to have lunch with him in Recco. Third, meeting a lovely old couple at the bus stop who helped me look after my backpack while I went and got money from the ATM. Fourth, finding some friendly people who were also heading to the hostel. Even the sight of orange trees in bloom lining the streets put a smile on my face.
 
Coming to Cinque Terre was a great decision made ages ago. Even though I wasn't able to fulfil my wish to take a similar photo to a National Geographic one of Manarola at night with misty waves rolling in, I am completely content with my stay.
 
The area made up of five coastal towns built on Italy's dramatic northeast coast, is a real sight to behold. It is so beautiful! On our first drive down to Riomaggiore, seeing the colourful town looking onto the azure blue of the Mediterranean Sea put us all in a state of speechless awe. There are no words or photographs that can do this place's beauty justice.
 
Yesterday was spent being lazy with easy walks along the shore admiring the view, feasting on great Italian cuisine (foccacia, gelato, pasta, tiramisu and wine) and taking in the charm of the small towns. Today, we took on the hiking trail that connects the five towns, but were unable to complete the easiest segment which is still being restored after the floods. In between Vernazza and Corniglia, I rested in a private home, watching the sea, with a cat asleep and purring beside me and Italian opera on the stereo. This was one of my favourite moments of my time here.
 
I'm leaving early tomorrow for Venice. It'll be another long journey with multiple changes, but at least I'm feeling refreshed from spending time in one of the most beautiful places I've been to.
 

Tags: beaches, european adventure, friendly strangers, trains, trekking

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.