Existing Member?

Cutting Loose in Asia This journal/blog will chronicle the adventures of Leah & Joel in Hong Kong & the Philippines from July 12-August 8. Leah will conduct PhD research, Joel is along for the ride...

Manic Manila

PHILIPPINES | Saturday, 21 July 2007 | Views [713]

Hi Folks, we arrived safely in Manila on Thursday and found our way to our home in the Quezon City part of Manila. Manila is most closely related to Chicago in my experience in terms of how sprawling it is (check out the photos), except here the transportation is a bit different & MORE CROWDED...jeepneys, buses, taxis and mopeds. We live a few blocks off a major artery, we hear the exhaust belch of the moped w/ sidecars all hours but 10 pm - 5 am. So we're learning to exhaust ourselves so we sleep through it, and the weekends seem a bit less....I think a chainsaw in the next lot got me up at 11 this morning. Much better!!!

Yesterday, we attempted to go to the PBA Philippine Basketball Association Playoffs - Game 7, but couldn't figure out how to get tix in the mass of fans crowding the stadium. We decided it'd be better to go to a preseason game as new Manileros, and watched in a sports bah.

Leah met up with Dr. Jimmy and he squeezed us in between TV interviews and meetings with students on a Friday afternoon.

It seems we might have the chance to visit Palawan, which is super exciting, as I'm learning I may not have the marbles for the pace of Asia's mega-cities. There's opportunity to work with a fellow incoming Clarkie at a GIS training seminar on this rural beautiful island.

Boat in Manila Bay

Boat in Manila Bay

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

About jmasselink


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.