Existing Member?

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF JESS & DAN back on the road again...

welcome to cairo

EGYPT | Monday, 5 October 2009 | Views [782] | Comments [5]

Dear all,

the real fun has begun!Together we made our way out to heathrow airport, however because amy had joined our plans later on we were on separate flights.However I definately think she booked the better deal, what she thought was economy was a premium economy seat which was a recliner with champagne and a menu..travelling in style.meanwhile dan and I were served hard bread rolls and salty cannelloni while the larger lady with fluro red hair next to me kept gazing at my food.I was just waiting for her to ask If she could have my leftovers.

We ended up arriving at similar times in Cairo and the hostel organised a pick up for us. The roads were crazy at 9pm with no apparent lane system and buses having people hanging out the side indicating and tapping other cars.crazy.

Booked the hostel on the very reliable hostelworld as it was the top rated hostel however when we rocked up at a very sad dirty old building I started to get worrried. However once we made our way up to the eighth floor and then walked back down to the 7th, apparently the elevator cant stop at 7?, the hostel is very nice. Staff are lovely and were in a private room that has a definate african safari feel with leopard print covers. Slept like babies as we were all wrecked.

Sunday morning and we finally got to see Cairo in the light!We can see the nile from our room, however the pyramids are too far away.The smog is nowhere near as bad as I thought, I would say similar to london. Decided to take today easy as our tour starts tomorrow so were saving our energy for that. So wandered to the massive egyptian museum. Getting there wasnt the easiest though, its only a 5 minute walk however we have to cross a major 4 car wide road and there is no crossing system, just take a chance and pick your way in between cars which was very daunting.

The Egyptian museum is massive. We had our ever popular lonely planet..as did almost every other tourist, and made our way to the most popular rooms. The most impressive were the rooms containing everything found in Tutankahmen's tomb, including the very recognizable gold mask. His mummy was found with 15 rings, daggers, 30 bracelets and other jewellery then placed inside 3 gold coffins then placed inside 5 gold gilded wooden boxes (imagine a russian doll). The last box was around 5m x 5m x 5m.

Other rooms had animal mummies which included the hugest crocodile I've ever seen, a massive nile perch and many cats, baboons, snakes, cows and birds. Some were pets that were mummified with owners others were mummified as offering to the gods.I always thought cats were sacred to the Egyptians, but it turns out that even though they were loved they were a popular offering so were bred to become mummies.

Went into the Royal mummies room, which were apparently quiet lucky to see. Back in the 70's the President chucked a tanty and took all the Royal mummies off display. Luckily they were returned in the late 80's and have greatly increased the number of museum visitors. I didnt recognize many of the mummies, but we did recognize Ramses II..too many mummy movies for jess. The mummies are creepy looking and there is a warning that young children shouldnt enter. Most still have teeth, hair fingernails, eye lashes and lips but some are sunken and one particular died at war and has a massive hole in his head..obvious cause of death..and his arms are at a creepy angle almost like he's coming for you..

The heat has been a shock though and pretty draining, it must be around 30 degrees outside which is a huge jump from 15 degree average..were sitting in our aircondidtioned hostel recovering before we go out looking for food.

hope everyone had a lovely weekend.

much love,jess and the very peacefully sleeping amy and the not so peaceful snoring dan

xox

 

Comments

1

Glad you arrived safely. Hopefully you will adjust to the heat soon and enjoy your Egypt tour. I think it would be a exciting place to visit with all it's history, pyramids etc. Enjoy Jess Dan and Amy. Love Bassos xx

  Gai Basso Oct 5, 2009 7:25 AM

2

Hi Jess Dan and Amy well the great adventure has begun now and I am sure you are going to have a great time for there are lots to see and history to take in but please watch what you Eat and Drink the water is not very good not like Europe I know from when i was in Egypt even rinsing food also watch your possesions carefully this also applies to India I look forward to your descriptions for I was limited to where I could go when I was in Egypt due to the trouble there any way have a great time and enjoy your adventure and holiday which you need after all the work you did will look forward to your blogs love to you all Gpa oxox

  val and mick Oct 5, 2009 10:17 AM

3

Hi Jess Dan and Amy, hope you have both recovered from 'throwing up' so that you can enjoy your trip. Have just read Water for Elephants loved it. Any more good reads? Have fun, looking forward to your blogs, miss not writing to you, have to write to Bec when she goes to Bendigo. Love to all G'Ma.

  val and mick Oct 5, 2009 10:22 AM

4

Hi Jess Dan & Amy, Great to read your blog again! Hope you have a fantastic time! I am sure you will. Enjoy the weather! Take Care Luv Sue x

  Sue Batten Oct 6, 2009 10:52 AM

5

Hi Jess, Dan and Amy,
Can't wait to see your photos of the pyramids and thats just the first day of the tour. What an experience!
Enjoy and travel safe.
Love to you.
Love Mum xoxox

  mandy Oct 6, 2009 9:23 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.