Existing Member?

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF JESS & DAN back on the road again...

the last surviving ancient wonder of the world

EGYPT | Wednesday, 7 October 2009 | Views [999] | Comments [4]

Dear all,

Wednesday 7th October

I’m writing this from our carriage on the overnight sleeper train from Cairo to Aswan. Havn’t slept on a train before but the after the huge activities of yesterday we all slept like logs. It was a set of very comfortable bunks per room and we were woken at 8am with breakfast, which was a collection of breads and spreads. Were about an hour of Aswan so I though I would fill you in on the activities.

Monday was the day our tour started however we didn’t meet until 6pm that night. So while we waited for everyone to arrive, dan, amy and I went to the Khan El Khalili Market. Our very dodgy taxi driver tried to stop at his cousins shop and make us buy souveniers that were of a very dodgy quality, but eventually we did get there. The market was massive and sold bits and pieces of everything. We were followed around the market with “hello miss” and “look no charge” and my favourite which was directed to dan “you very lucky man, 2 womens!” amy and I just laughed. Last stop was the post office because I had a card to post to Australia. I’m use to giving it to the postman and him telling me how much, but that’s not how it works in Egypt. He asked me how many stamps I wanted to put on it? I have no idea. So he suggested 2 and then for safe measure put 2 and a half. I worked out that it only cost me 50 Australian cents so I’m not sure if my card will get there..

Monday night met our tour goup and guide. Guide is an Egyptian called Ahmed. Our group is 12 with dan, amy and I, Sydney couple Philipa and Dan who are getting married within 2 weeks of returning to aus after being in London 3 years, Canadian Suzie, Aussie Bec the doctor, Aussie Vanessa the speech pathologist, Canadian Kim, Aussie Petra who seems always to be the last one ready and Tasmanian Lou and Russ an older couple.

Tuesday started early because we were going to the GIZA PYRAMIDS!!woohoo. I had heard they were right on the edge of the city but nothing prepares you when you seem to be in the middle of the city on the highway and next thing there is a massive pyramid next to you. Can’t describe much else in words, because they are huge and amazing and we all stood around staring at them for 45 minutes. We also went into the burial chamber which was a creepy 20m walk down tiny tunnels and then into a hot sweaty room. Theres nothing left in the room but a rock tomb but was still very cool to go inside a pyramid. From there we rode camels around the pyramids and around the bit of desert that surrounds the pyramids. It was definitely the best part of the tour as it gave us a chance to sit and enjoy the surroundings. My camel was mickey mouse and he was very well behaved and didn’t tip me off.

Spent the afternoon at the Egyptian Musuem again with our guide. It was good a second time around to hear all the history and explanations.

Were off today to swim in the nile and go meet a traditional nubian family and have dinner with them. The intrepid tour so far has been great, gives us alot of freedom so that we dont feel like herded sheep. Tomorrow start at 3am because were off to Abu Simbel.

Love to all,

love jess xox

Please see the newly added photos!

 

Comments

1

sounds like you are all having a great time, i would love to see abu-simbel, take care , luv drena.xoxox

  drena n campbell Oct 8, 2009 3:10 AM

2

Hi Jess, Dan and Amy,
What fabulous photos, I've been showing them to everyone at work and they are all impressed. Everyone wants to see the pyramids but only a few actually get to do it.Loved the camels ride photos too, want a perfect thing to do in the desert.
The tour group sounds like a great mix of people and so small also which is fantastic.
Keep having a great time. Can't wait for the next instalment.
Love you heaps.
Love Mum xoxox

  mandy Oct 8, 2009 8:10 PM

3

Hi Jess Dan & Amy
I was getting teary reading your news! Sounds soo amazing glad you are enjoying your tour! Not too much to report here got a quiet weekend. Going to the basketball tomoz nite to watch Melb Tigers mum dad and Bec are coming should be fun. Going to be 22 here Sunday quite pleasant! Bit warmer where u are.
Keep having fun.
Luv Sue xx

  Sue Oct 9, 2009 9:56 AM

4

Hi Jess, Dan, Ami, loved your photos, G'Pa says Cairo sure has changed since he was there!!!!Was surprised to see the Nile looking so good,and that you were able to swim in it. Loved to read your Egyptian guide was named Ahmed - very original!!!! Liked the photo of you on the camel, they looked much happier that the ones in Alice Spring, which spat and snarled all the time we were on them, the ones in Broome were better behaved I have to admit. Keep writing love to hear all your news, take care. Luv G'Ma & G'Pa

  mick and val Oct 9, 2009 11:06 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.