Existing Member?

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF JESS & DAN back on the road again...

berlin, germany

GERMANY | Wednesday, 14 May 2008 | Views [832] | Comments [3]

After a sore bum and nearly getting killed on the pushbikes riding around berlin- never follow dan, im so glad he had health insurance watching him dart around on the bike..aaarrggh- after that we decided to experience the berlin trains and our feet instead. 

Had all you can eat brekkie at hostel..includes juice, tea, coffee, bread, rolls, toast, eggs, salad..a really good breakfast. Caught the train to the East side Gallery, its the largest section of the berlin wall remainging and in 1989 when the wall was brought down, artists from all over the wall gathered to decorate the wall. Although much of it has been graffited on top of it, most of them are messages from travelleres all over the world. Also found a hostel that was a houseboat..damn we didnt see that one on hostel world.

We got off the train at warschauser st, walked the wall back to ostbahnhof, got on the wrong train and went back to warschauser st, then had to get off and go back to ostbahnhof, and then change train lines again to get back to alexander platz..only a couple of trains away. damn public transprt, i thought we were getting better at working our way around, but yesterday proved we really have no idea.

After finallz getting to the station we wanted, we visted alexander platz which is a huge shopping area, and has the tv tower at the centre. The view of berlin was amazing and interesting to see the different parts of the city. We had a few beers at the bar at the top of the tower...the barman was really chatty and told us  how much he wants to visit australia, till we told him koalas are ugly and grunt like piggys..he seemed a little dissapointed..oops.

Yesterday was dan and i had dinnner together, good restaurant with its own little brewery...they had raspberry beer and beer cocktails ???? mango, apple and orange?? raspeberry beer was nice, not very beery. They were setting up for the sex and the city premier behind us at the potsdamer platz..a huge pink carpet.

Dan and i wandered down to Brandenburg gate to get some photos, however the photos were all kinda blurred with black smoke that was pouring out behind the gate..damn. we thought about walking to see what was going on, cy the smoke was huge, black and ash was falling everywhere, but couldnt be bothered in the end, cz it looked way too far away....hehehehe..but not for amy our little crazed fire chaser...

while dan and i were at dinner she went out with anglela from aus that we had met the night before. Went for kebabs and then a small group of them decided to track down the fire..almost like treasure!!however like the elusive pot of gold at the end of the rainbow looking really close but when you try to get there it gets further and further away....amy and her trio of fire chasers walked for over an hour to find the tyre factory that was on fire..and then watched the flames with the other crazed fire chasers and cheered..funniest part was she walked all the way back to warschauser station..and then tried to get back and got just as lost as we did before..hehehehehe.

Today we have caught the train to dresden, a small town close to the german border. It was the only non-industrial town to be flattened by allied bombings near the end of WW2. we are meeting dans opa`´s -i cant find a damn coma on this keyboard...brother, so it should be good to meet some of the family..i will take plenty of fotos for you tina.

love to all

love jess xooxoxox

 

Comments

1

Sorry its taken so long to comment - got stuck with uni :(

Berlin has sounded amazing! I loved reliving those moments with u guys! And yes everyone has stuffed up at least once with berlin public transport - but it still beats melbournes!!!!

Did u get time to go see the 'Story of Berlin' Museum - really worth a visit if u get time.

Also awesome to see you took my advice on kebabs - how good r they!

Also how u said Hauptbahnhof was huge - Ostbahnhof is also just as big, as well as many across Germany - inc Frankfurt and München. München has something like 46 platforms - CRAZY!!

Glad your enjoying your trip - havent heard anything more about the scholarship but will kepp u informed - all the best and keep writing!

B!

  Brenton Millott May 16, 2008 1:00 AM

2

Hi Jess, Lovely to keep hearing fromyou and how much fun you are all having, Berlin was on 'Getaway' last night, we look ed for you!!!! Weather has been good here somebeautiful days, although foggy, typical Autumn weather. Betty's grandson is on holiday in UK, he too is having a 'ball' been to Ireland Scotland and UK. Your trip to Dresden shouldn't be so long, providing you get on the right train. Luv you all G'ma

  val and mick May 16, 2008 8:13 AM

3

Hello again, As grandma said berlin was on getaway so we could imagine you all there. They showed the berlin wall that you mentioned and Dermott Bereton riding bikes through the city so we have a good visual of what you are talking about. Things pretty much same here. Ken still wishes you were in office, new bloke taking a while to break in!!!!! Have fun on next stage and enjoy visiting family. Love Bassos

  Bassos May 16, 2008 9:32 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.