Existing Member?

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF JESS & DAN back on the road again...

why you come to linz????

AUSTRIA | Friday, 2 May 2008 | Views [811] | Comments [6]

dear all,

thankyou so much to everyone that comments on the blog, its great to read all your comments..and i dont think i realised how much i write about the food till i read your comments.all the food is just so good!

I cant remember exactly what i wrote in the last story...i think we had just arrived in salzburg?so sorry if i do repeat myself a little..the hostel in salzburg was really nice, so brand new that when we woke up they were painting the corridor outside our room and the laundry was full of paint buckets..therefore im on my last pair of undies today..and dan is onto jocks. we spent the day in salzburg and visited the salzburg fortress which was built in 1077 by the archbishop, but its not a chuch. The archbishops controlledthe province of salzburg and that was their place of rule. Also salzburg is called "salz" meaning salt because it was surrounded by salt, and therefore very wealthy. Neway for generations to follow the archbishops ruled from the fortress and made it bigger and better every year..one archbishops coat of arms was a turnip??, because apparently his uncle hit him in the head with a turnip and cured his craziness??who knows, so there are turnips everywhere in the concrete. The fortress had an amazing view of salzburg and the alps, it was beautiful.

From there we visited the nonnberg priory, which is the church where maria from the sound of music came from. We also saw the gardens that are in the movie. Then wandered the old town, cathedral and government blgs. Salzburg was beautiful, especially with the mountains in the background.

From salzburg we caught the train to linz. We chose linz because vienna was TOTALLY booked out for the weekend, so were staying here and going to vienna for a whole day tomorrow. When we arrived in linz it seemed a small industrial type town with not much to do, and no other tourist visitors, not many ppl got off at the station with us. We didnt mind tho we had a cheap hotel with free breakfast and were looking forward to a few days relaxing. Yesterday we slept in and then wandered towards the shops at lunch, for a thursday in the middle of the day tho ALL the shops were shut, we couldnt work out why there were sooo many ppl around but no shops open??so we kept wandering and following the ppl. In the end we found a carnival type show along the river, with rides, lots of bratwurst and pastries and many many other foods. We ended up at a bar and the lady explained to us that for 10 days linz has its own "octoberfest" type festival with big tents full of ppl drinking beer and being merry..and do they drink beer, at 3 in the arvo ppl were singing LOUD and a few were already on the floor. on top of that it was a public holiday that day for austria, so there were ppl everywhere!

We decided to enjoy the festivities and had a beer in the tents and listen to the bands.The beers got bigger, and then became fruit cocktails, and then spirits.... Dan and amy had a pretty big night..amy is still in bed as she had an even bigger nights that ended in her offering a policeman her rose..and then offering it to several other strangers and then winding herself in a flag so tightly she got stuck..the fotos are awesome. Her collection of bar memorabilia has also grown..not just green wigs and drink mixers it now includes coasters and a jagermeister hawaiian lei..

Dan had a good night..bought drink for the friendly 80-something year olds who were laughing at how fast he was drinking and told him to slow down..while dan was telling them to skull their beer..hehehe. We did have an awesome night with the austrians in the their huge tents, it was good being surrounded by locals and not tourists. Several ppl we met were excited that they had met australians who had chosen to come to their little shindig..we didnt tell them it was only because vienna was booked out..They are not use to tourists stopping here so we have met some really nice ppl who explained to us what was going on and whats good to do in linz..lol, not much but drink beer.

In total we had a great night with the locals. Planning on catching the first train to vienna at 8 and the last train back at 10. It wil be a big day and i will let you know how it goes.

love to all

Jess

xoxoxoxo

found the best tshirt..its has a picture of a kangaroo and there says "theres no kangaroos here, austria"..i think they a little jealous!

we have also bought a german phrase book, cz when dan says he is german thay rattle on in german, and dan and i look very blank, so we are going to learn a little german!!auf wiedersehen!!

Comments

1

Sounds like linz was the place to go for a real austrian experience.what wonderful memories you are all making.wow, you've seen the church from my all time favourite film the sound of music.im impressed.hope you took lots of photos. keep having fun love mum xxxxooo

  mum May 3, 2008 8:47 AM

2

Hi all you drunken Aussies in Austria, sounds like you are all having a wonderful time. Kens mum would be proud of you all as she was from Austria and knew how to drink, eat and be merry!!! You have certainly had a great first month away. Love Bassos

  Bassos May 3, 2008 11:20 AM

3

Hi you guys. So happy to hear you are haviong a ball. Would appreciate you having a beer for me and Noel. Love to be in Austria with you. I luuvvvv the Sound of Music. Now I can catch up with your travels cos mum showed me how to find you.
Love Bevvy.xxx

  Bev & Noel Lovelock May 3, 2008 1:06 PM

4

OH BOY, REMINDS ME OF MY VISIT TO THE BIERFEST IN STUTTGART IN 2005. LOTS OF OMP PA PA...GOT A REALLY SORE ARM LIFTING THOSE 1 LITRE BEER STEINS TO MY MOUTH BUT OH SO WORTH IT. AND HAVE A BRATWURST AND SAURKRAUT FOR ME. OH WHAT WONDERFUL MEMORIES. WISH I WAS THERE.
LOVE MUM XXX

  TINA May 3, 2008 4:54 PM

5

haha,

Sounds like you guys are having a great time over there! And I'm glad you got a few stories about drinking in on this blog ASWELL as the food comments ;) Well done Dan with the drinking efforts - doing AUS proud.

I reckon those smaller towns in Europe are often the best ones to visit! - They're the ones with the REAL - unaltered culture... I think that Vienna being booked out may have been a blessing in disguise? Ah well, I hope you're enjoying it anyway! - Reads like you are!

All the best ppls! Keep the blogs coming! :)

James

  Jimmynai May 3, 2008 11:04 PM

6

Amy, stop all that drinking right now !!!! you'll never remember any of this trip, thank goodness Jess is writing it all down for you. Keep having fun love Mum xxx

  joy May 5, 2008 12:47 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.