Existing Member?

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF JESS & DAN back on the road again...

longest day ever....

ITALY | Sunday, 27 April 2008 | Views [725] | Comments [4]

I cant believe all of the things and places that we crammed into yesterday...it all began at 6.30am...

we got up early to get to the uffizi, one of the most important galleries for renaissance art. We had tried the day before to get in but the queue was 3 hours long, so we went back early yesterday. The museum opens at 8.15am, and we werent that far back in the queue but still had to wait for an hour. One plus was being an eu citizen between 18 and 26yrs old, alot of museums are half price..thanks mum. The museum was worth the wait, we saw Boticellis "the birth of  venice"..google it and u will recognise it...also big works by michaelangelo and carravagio. It was def worth the wait. Florence was beautiful, my second fav city behind santorini. everything is so close, and its a beautiful city to walk around.

Anyway, got to the train station by lunch time to catch a train to la spezia which we were planning to stay for a night before walking the cinque terre..however things dont go to plan...the internet wasnt working at the hostel in florence so we decided to wing it and find accomadation when we got to la spezia..bad idea...we didnt realise that saturday was a public holiday for the italians, some kind of independence day, and everyone was on holidays for a long weekend..damn damn..even worse la spezia is similar to the mornington peninsular or phillip island for a holiday destination for the italians, its easy to understand the area is beautiful..we called 23 different hotels and around 20 or so bed and breakfasts and EVERYWHERE was booked. There were no comfy benches or good places to sleep in the station so we had to move on. I was kinda disappointed we didnt get to walk the cinque terre, saw it from the train and it was beautiful..maybe we will go back sometime..just wasnt meant to be..that will teach us for not booking accomadation.

but wait the day is not over yet..caught a train to genova, but got off at genova bagliomore instead of genova principle..damn stations, and then it was a mad 10 min dash in a taxi to get the last train to milan...argh. we made the last train luckily and arrived in milan, and finally the hotel by midnight..huge day with backpacks all day..

Today has been a little more relaxed, visited the amazing cathedral in milan, sue it is amazing! and have wandered around milan, lots of shops, kinda feels a little like melbourne, totally different to florence and rome.were planning or being a little more organised and booking some accomadation before we get to venice later today...a little more organised..

love to all

xoxo jess xo

Comments

1

sorry we missed u on msn but bec had left her phone in the bedroom. didnt get msg until 9.20 oops. jack won dance well deserved he is a gr8 dancer. just watching the after party on rove. will look at boticellis next using the computer by myself all the time now very proud of me!!! enjoy venice i loved it. love mum xxxx

  mum Apr 27, 2008 9:55 PM

2

Hi everyone, so glad you are getting to see some of the things that you have studied over the years with your art Jess. Everything just sounds terrific and makes us want to travel more ourselves. I guess if nothing else you are certainly learning to "Go With The Flow" whilst travelling. Love Bassos.

  Bassos Apr 28, 2008 8:51 AM

3

Hi you Guys,

It was great to talk to you on the phone last night Amy, I was just starting to get a bit toey haven't not heard for a while.

On a serious note I just came across this little saying in my Toastmaster magazine and thought it was very appropriate:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." by Mark Twain

So go for it guys make the most of it. Luv Mum (Joy)

  Joy Harte Apr 28, 2008 9:43 AM

4

Gidday! Jess & Co.
Sounds like like you guys are having the time of your life, enjoy it to the fullest. Our weather has turned very cold brrrrrrr.....May go back to work next week will just wait and see how I feel. The dog seems to have settle so it may get to stay???? Not running away I reckon Tim has put it on Valium???? May be one day I may get there and have a look, time will tell.
Take Care,
Cheers! Brenda

  Brenda Apr 28, 2008 7:39 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.