Existing Member?

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF JESS & DAN back on the road again...

florence / firenze

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 26 April 2008 | Views [657] | Comments [2]

After spending the night exploring and partying in the hostel, we decided today we should leave the hostel and see the city...

Florence isnt a big city so we have spent the day walking from one place to the next and have seen soo much. Wandered two different markets..one had a lot of leather goods, souvenier type shops and dodgy fake bags and sunglasses. The second was full of stalls selling regional food specialities...cheese, wine, pastries, salami, meats, olives etc. Tried some cheeses and they were tasty as, even if the stall was a little cheesy smelly. The meats were all hanging and the cheeses were in massive wheels. We tried a few different pastries..italy is any sweet tooths heaven, lol, bec you reckon i got fat in japan...

In Florence we went to the main cathedral, completed in the 1300s, it looks amazing and is covered in green pink and white marble. From there wandered several other historical buildings,mainly churches. Saw the david statue and wandered along the river. There was only one bridge standing after florence was bombed in WW2, it was and is still covered in gold and silver shops along the bridge. We wandered up the Piazza michaelangelo, which has an amazing view of the city. While we were up there a display of WW2 american army trucks and bikes came up the hill, got heaps of photos for you dad, so we wandered around them, but no one spoke english or could tell us exactly what was going on?

Back at the hostel, planning a swim and some dinner later.

Hoping to visit the Uffitzi..not sure on the spelling, but its a huge gallery here in florence tomorrow. It houses works by michaelangelo and da vinci..im looking forward to it.

love to all

sue, i hope you love italy as much as we have enjoyed it. definately go for the chocolate gelati..

 

Comments

1

Hi darl, I loved Florence, it was easy to get around, not being too large, we missed the markets but did manage to get some nice leather goods (long gone now ofcourse) G'Pa must haveslept when we went through Tuscany as he says he doesn't remember it! unfortunately we didn't go near the coast, the hostel was a good find!! Enjoy luv g'ma and g'pa

  val and mick Apr 26, 2008 12:01 PM

2

Hi kids, sounds so wonderful but just got back from Dargo. Does it compare???lol. Gee I hope Dan is still able to walk, all those yummy things you guy's are eating. Actually it's a life style I really think I could cope with. Love you heaps. Happy travels from us back here.
Love "The White's". xxx

  tina & darren Apr 27, 2008 7:36 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.