Existing Member?

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF JESS & DAN back on the road again...

Santorini..last day

GREECE | Thursday, 17 April 2008 | Views [1171] | Comments [8]

We arrived in santorini 3 nights ago. Santorini has 4 islands, the main island is the biggest and the main town we are staying in is called fira.

The ferry arrives at the bottom of the cliffs, and its a long winding taxi up the 400m cliffs. The houses are all along the top of the cliffs. from a distance they almost look like snow on the mountains.

Fira is beautiful, the kind of place in the brouchures for the greek islands. The white houses are built into the side of the cliffs are the views are amazing. Our first night we had dinner, i had a delicious moussaka, and watched the sunset from the restuarant balcony. We then went to a bar and met an american coupld on their honeymoon. The shots were cheap and then night became a pretty big night that finished with us girls dancing on the bar. All that now needs to be said is that i didnt feel very well the next day.

the winding streets around the town are amazing, everyday we seem to find somewhere new to explore.

Yesterday we had a tour booked of the other islands near santorini. It began at the port, we caught the cable down. We could have ridden the donkeys but they were a little bit smelly and dan felt sorry for which ever donkey would have to carry him. The boat was a pirates of the caribbean type sailboat, but with an engine. The first stop was the volcano. The volcano is active and it last exploded in 1995, nothing major though. The biggest explosion was 1500BC which caused the islands of santorini to break up and caused a 75m tsunami that reached turkey. We walked the 1.5km to the centre of the volcano, you cant see much but can feel the heat from the volcano and smell the sulphar.

After the volcano the boat went through 4m swells, it felt like a ride at dreamworld. We then stopped outside a small island, that has the hot springs. The only problem is you have to jump of the boat and then swim towards to hot springs. I was the only one to swim-dan and amy were sooky. The water was freezing but after 25m or it warms up and it was beautfil to float in under the sun. Swam back to boat and got back into the boat freezing. Then sailing onto our next stop i was changing in the inside of the boat and starting to feel a little green cz of the swell again..eew.

Luckily we arrived at our next stop before i was sick. It was a small port of another island called thirasia. We had kebabs and salad for lunch and enjoyed the sun. Then moved on through calmer waters to oia, a small postcard like town on the point. We took heaps of photos because the town is gorgeous. It was worth the 250+ huge steps up the side of cliff from the port at the bottom.

After catching the bus back to fira and having gyros for dinner we watched the sunset. We all then crashed into bed and slept like logs.

Today is our last day in the greek islands. Dan and i visited the musuem just before and will be heading out for some lunch soon. The ferry is at 3pm and arrives back at athens at midnights. hopefully tomorrow we will be getting the ferry overnight to italy, and begin our italian adventure.

Overall the greek islands have been amazing. The views are beautiful, the people always friendly and the food has been great. Although the beaches are not the best, maybe because we compare them to australian beaches. But it has been very relaxing. so thankyou to everyone for a wonderful birthday present.

love to all

love jess and dan

 

Comments

1

hi jess,
santorini sounds fantastic. dan your a woos for not going in the water,,you too amy!
all the food sounds yummy as usual,you should send some over to us [=
enjoy your last day there, travel safe and have a good trip over to italy.
love bec and mum xxx

  bec and mum Apr 17, 2008 6:29 PM

2

glad you are enjoying the greek Islands sounds marvelous wish we could have gone there any photos ?hope you are getting our messages it is really nice to hear from you Gma and GPA

  val and mick Apr 17, 2008 8:06 PM

3

Hi Guys, nice to hear from you again, so pleased the greek island tour went so well. Went out for dinner Jess and had an Ouzo to bring back my youth and toast your trip. Everything same at home. We are still very jealous and makes us want to go even more. One daY!!!! Love Bassos.

  Bassos Apr 18, 2008 10:15 AM

4

Hey guys,
Jess I definatly would have been there with you swimming in the hot springs, sounds fun!!! You have to make Dan and Amy do these things, there missing out!haha
Cathy xxx

  Cathy Apr 18, 2008 5:34 PM

5

Hi guy's,
It sounds soooooo wunderbar. Dad and I went to a Greek resturant in Salamanca on our last night in Tassie because I was thinking of you. It was so much fun. A litle guy with a "handle bar" mo sang to us in greek while he was playing his guitar and then told us he originated from and island just off Paros. I am saving and hoping to hop out to you in March 09 and I have got oma saving too. Look after yourselves.
Love mum and dad

  Tina & darren Apr 19, 2008 5:51 PM

6

Hi Jess Dan and Amy
When your feelin homesick you can use the google map above, hit HYBRIB in top corner and spin the world around until you find home!!!! its real cool ancd if you zoom in you can actually see your car parked in the drive way wher you left it.
Have fun in Italy
Love Dad

  Dad Apr 20, 2008 7:22 AM

7

forgot to tell you erin hasan has a role in the up coming production of wicked and is understuding the lead role also. hopefully she will get an opportunity to play the lead role sometimes as often the stars will have a night of here and there.fantastic news for erin lets hope its the start of a great career.how is italy so far? looking forward to more travel blog when you time lots of love mum.xxx

  mum Apr 20, 2008 3:12 PM

8

Gidday! Jess & Dan
Lovely to hear of your travels and read how it is all going. Keep having a fantastic time I will look forward to your next instalment.
Cheers! Brenda

  Brenda Apr 21, 2008 8:28 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.