Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Penang

MALAYSIA | Friday, 23 October 2009 | Views [1197]

Mon 19th Oct - After the arrival and sorting stuff was out of the way, time to hit the streets of Chinatown whilst there is light. Need to pick up a new watch at some point, as my old one broke. Some street markets around as well as the Komplex mall. Muntri is home to a couple of lovely Chinese temples. The nearest is 175 years old according to the old guy who was sat inside. The main figure at the altar he referred to as the 'Ghost'. Not sure why, so I need to do some research into that?

I have this theme of 'doors and windows of the world'. I have got hundreds of photos of them. The old town here is door and window heaven, as there are so many beautiful designs in the Chinatown area alone. Every shophouse and business is different. I began in the 'Art & Cafe' which wasn't serving food for another hour, but I could look around at the building and art gallery upstairs. It is one of those places which wows you as soon as you step foot into the street.

I had a wonderful afternoon walking around this old town. The esplanade area on the water front is lovely, with a colonial town hall, and the Cornwallis fort, plus a restored lighthouse and ship's mast. Many historical monuments such as the clocktower and streets with quaint names beginning with either Lebuh (street) or Jalan (Main road). Figures from history are popular in the naming: Campbell, Kimberly, Hatton, McAlister, Farquhar etc the town's historical influences are all too present as you stroll from Chinatown, with its tightly packed vibrant shophouses and into Little India and the heady aromas of spices emanating from the numerous local restaurants and snack bars, all suffused with the thumping beat of Banghra music from oversized speakers on the pavements; shops selling pretty saris, and the Indian's penchant for all things sweet are catered for in many sweet shops. There is no doubting you are India here! A nice temple. October 25th is the annual Dewali (aka Deepavali) festival of light celebration. This is a perfect place to be for that. I stopped in the Kapitan Kelin Mosque on Lebuh Buckingham just as prayers were commencing. The haunting sound of the Muezzin sends tingles down your spine and as night fell, it took on a more dazzling form as the surrounding area lit up with street lights. It is taboo to take photographs during prayer sessions after 6pm, so just have to be content with taking it all in. They have some great tourist leaflets on everything to do with Islam in a stand by the entrance. I found the same leaflets in Singapore. Excellent idea, aimed at dispelling some of the misunderstandings about the Islamic faith for the outside world to understand the culture better.

In the evening I ventured into the entertainment area where the bars seemed empty until I found out that it was a National Holiday. Slippery Senoritas, Uptown bar, and many others were limbering up for live music later, but I was too early for that. There is a definite lively side to this town and also a feeling of quality. History has shaped it to be like going into Shanghai, catering for all tastes and cultures. There is a nice open food court in the Night market on Jalan Penang. Old couples were waltzing in between the table to some nice slow music. Pleasant and sweet to watch them.

 

Tue 20th Oct - Another day on foot exploring. First off was the Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion, which conducts narrated tours in English by a very knowledgeable Chinese lady, who kept leaping in the air when she said something amusing. She was entertaining, albeit with a facts and figures overdose! 12 ringgits (RM) entrance. No photographs allowed other than with prior arrangement. One of the most ornate buildings in the town, constructed by a man who dedicated himself to providing every service he could. His business was multi-national and multi-cultural. The mansion was very much a shrine to the principle of Feng Shui Chi design. Every element having a detailed explanation to its origin. Well worth taking the tour. He was a bit of a polygamist and had many wives spread around so it seemed. A bank of five low level buildings opposite the main house were constructed to house the kitchens and staff, and low enough to prevent anyone from ever building something that could block out the light into his house, thereby destroying the Feng Shui/ Ying & Yang business that is all so important in creating the flow of good through the property.

After that, a bit of light shopping walking down through Lebuh Campbell to the Komtar Complex shopping mall. Bought myself a new watch to replace the one that just broke, and purchased a Digi SIM card. 10 RM pre-loaded with 5RM credit (top-up at 7-11 stores) texts 15 Sen international, 10cents local. Passport details are required to buy a SIM. Also, have to wait 30 minutes before you can use it after it has been registered, so had lunch whilst waiting to try it out before leaving the building, in case there was a problem.

An afternoon of temples...the highlight being the Khoo Kongsi temple. A Hokkein style testament to everything it is possible to make ostentatious in a single building. The stonework, the lanterns, the gold leaf on the statues, the tiling work on the roofing, well worth the RM12 entrance fee. More walking, another temple. This time an Indian one at the 'Goddess of mercy' temple. Even more walking and then boarded the QE2 for coffee. Well it sounds posh doesn't it? It is actually a restaurant by the water’s edge and a nice one at that. 7 Ringgits for a coffee listening to sophisticated music from the classics. This felt so British of me I was content whilst watching the ferries come and go from the adjacent terminal. This is where I had come to Penang last year. I have no idea why we came that route instead of using the suspension bridge, which is obviously quicker.

Collected my passport with my Thai visa. 60 days free and can enter any time in the next 3 mths.

I had the most awesome Indian meal in the evening at the Maharaj restaurant on Penang road next to the Odean cinema. Dishes ranging from all over India, it was hard to choose. Indian music and authentic décor inside. There are plenty of local Indian restaurants in the area, but I wanted something special. And it sure was. Served on banana leaf for authenticity and eaten with fingers, I had a nice mix of Kashmiri and vegetable dishes. All the staff spoke English and were helpful. Highly recommended.

Got offered a few ladies on the short walk to the Uptown Bistro from some of the dodgiest looking characters I have seen in a while. Can't seem to escape this wherever I go. Dropped into a pub for a nice Kilkenny beer. Reminded me of being back in the UK, and the first 'Real Beer' I have had in ages. Tasted good...

 

Wed 21st Oct - A bit of an ambling day today. Didn't get to bed until around 3am, so wasn't surprised when I didn't get out of bed until after 11am. Half the day had gone by now, so got up and went for brunch at the Western Oriental Café. The idea was to work out the plan for the next few days, so went to get some advice on the jungle railway. Good that I did, as I had got some of the information wrong. What I also learnt was a bit disturbing. I had been walking around with my camera over my shoulder. They were shocked that I hadn't been mugged. They showed me a newspaper article highlighting the fact that almost every day, especially around Muntri street, someone gets their back snatched off their shoulder by a passing motorcycle that has been stalking them. One article was about a girl with her boyfriend who had lost their passports and money. Ruined their dream holiday of course. Also, part of my plan to return to Thailand via the risky area of Su Ngai Kolok, was dismissed as crazy, as there had been much trouble, and recently according to one agent. The problem is how you get hold of current information? Not always easy, even the government sites as they always play it too safe.

Another indulgent Indian meal in the evening. Really spoiling myself with good food here. With Indian TV playing whilst I dined.

 

Thu 22nd Oct - After another late start and breakfast, I thought I should do something different. I had plodded the streets enough over the past few days. Penang hill seemed a good idea, for a trip on the funicular railway and a panoramic view f the island. Bus 204 goes there for 2RM and can be picked up in a number of places. I went to the Komtar bus terminal and it arrived within a few minutes. Clean, air-conditioned and smooth. The buses are a great feature of this town, and so cheap to use. The lodgings give out slips of paper with the bus numbers and destinations. Slightly confusing, but not when you have a map, bus 204 is going to 'Air Itam' (aka Penang Hill). It drops right outside the entrance of the Funicular terminal.

The ride to the top costs RM4 return (RM3 one way if you are crazy enough to want to walk back down), and is in two stages taking about 25 minutes. Incredibly steep and an interesting history from its initial attempt at a steam driven version, followed by the present modern cable driven version. There are seats, but the carriages are filled with standing passengers too. The rains had begun just before I got to the terminal and finished soon after I arrived, so I was lucky that the whole time I was on the hill it didn't rain. The views are superb. The suspension bridge spanning the Malaccan strait and the town spread out below.

One of the highlights apart from the train is the Indian temple on top of the hill. Beautiful design with vibrant colours, and lucky that the Brahmin was conducting a sermon whilst I was there. The present building replaced an earlier design, which had been constructed for the use of the Indian migrant workers who labored on the railway and other buildings on the hill during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Many other things to see, such as a mosque, the Penang hotel, an aviary, a place to have your photo taken with a Python, and food court. I had a nice Indian chickpea, onion, chilli and daal snack for RM3.

A bit of a British institution in the form of the David Brown's restaurant at Strawberry Hill was a nice interlude to my trip back towards the train terminal. A typical British colonial building, with ornamental lily pond out front. What more could I do but have Cameronian tea and scone, considering it was mid-afternoon. Expensive, but a necessary treat. The scones are cooked fresh too. Well it sounded nice. They forgot my scone, and the tea was cold. When they delivered the scone I had no tea left. I wouldn't mind, but on the way in to the place a small group I had been on the train with said they had the worse meal in all their time in Penang, and the most expensive. My own experience seemed to corroborate that. The head waiter was Filipino and it was interesting to chat with him about places we both knew. He had been there for 13 years, with an annual visit back to the Philippines. Had a nice chat with a couple of British ladies before I left. One was teaching in a British school here, and the other a teacher in Ho Chi Ming city in Vietnam, visiting the other lady. Both had spent around 17 years in Asia and loved it. It isn't hard to understand why. Those of us who make the transition from west to east can see it clearly, like a magnet, it draws you in, and the magnetic pull is hard to resist, so you don't find it easy to pull free.

Apart from Indian visitors, I was surprised at the amount of retired Australians here today. Small groups of them everywhere. I have to say that they were enjoying the good life, and showing signs of it...not a skinny one amongst them!

The return trains run until around 9pm, so no hurry back, and the buses run until midnight. At the bottom of the hill, there were so many taxis waiting, but most of the people were on organized tours, with coaches waiting for them. I only had to sit for a few minutes and the 204 bus arrived to take me back to the town. A pretty sight which I love to see, is a group of young Indian girls getting on at a bus stop like a sea of colour in their Saris. At the next stop they were joined by a group of Muslim ladies in their attractive clothing and colourful headscarfs. It looks so lovely to see the cultures mixed together in a celebration of who they are in this mulit-cultural place. The west by comparison is a bit drab by comparison I have to say. We don't use colour in the way that Asian cultures do. Celebrate it, don't hide it. I know that climate has a lot to do with it, but it lifts your spirits to be surrounded by a tehnicolour carpet of clothing.

Time to move on tomorrow, and so I stopped at the 75 traveller’s lodge to book my ticket to Ipoh for 9am tomorrow morning. I really want to go to Jerantut for the Jungle railway, but have to go to Ipoh first and check out my options on arrival.

It has been a really satisfying day, and considering it had been a quick change of idea in the morning, I wouldn’t have wanted to miss it.

On the way there and back I saw a few other landmarks which may be interesting to visit someday such as the National Mosque and the Kek Lok Si Temple. But I have sort of had enough of temples for the moment, no matter how nice they seem.

Well in case I didn't get the opportunity for a while to eat Indian, for the third night on the run I ate Indian. Yep, my system will probably rebel tomorrow, but what the heck. Had spicy mix for lunch and this time went western Indian, but with extra spice to throw my stomach into overload. The Maharaj restaurant which I enjoyed the first time was my choice, and didn't disappoint. Will miss Penang for a number of reasons, especially the food. I am sure I will be back some day, as I have left things to do, rather than try to do it all in one go. Last time I was here was in the north west of the island, and as such a totally different experience. Penang has so much to offer, that it rates high on my list of favourite destinations now.

 That's all for now....

 

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.