Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Bangkok to Malaysia

THAILAND | Monday, 19 October 2009 | Views [1313] | Comments [1]

Sat 10th Oct - Usual Breakfast at the Elfin Café and got a shirt repaired at a street tailor. Then off to the MBK centre for some light shopping. Got lured into Swensens by the entrance to the MBK for an ice-cream sundae. Gotta have treats now and then. I have to psyche myself up for shopping, so something to soften the blow.

The rest of the day was just bar hopping and a visit to what is known as Soi Cowboy at Asok. One of those places to wander through to see the bright lights, and side attractions, for research purposes! Didn't stay long and walked back through the markets.

Sun 11th Oct - Late breakfast and the highlight of the weekend with salsa at the Elfin restaurant for a few hours. Not many people turned up, so a quiet time and left early.

Mon 12th OCT - Heading for the Royal beach town of Hua Hin for a few of days. Around 4 hours south of Bangkok on the train. Last time I was in Bangkok and had to go to the station, I had no trouble getting a taxi for 60 Baht. This time none were interested, wanting 200 baht. Made my own way by skytrain and metro for 43 baht. The 1pm train was fully booked, so I had to settle on the 3:10pm one. No sooner had I sat down and a nice lady from Chiang mai started chatting to me. Really nice and owner own beauty salon there. Having been to Chiang Mai many times, It made for some easy conversation, and got an invite to stay when I go there. Her husband was killed in a motorcycle accident 6 months ago, so that was sad. She had a young daughter to raise now. Had the thought that she might be eying up potential husband number two! The express train 37 had comfortable leather seats and fan cooling and spacious legroom. Being an express train and considering they do this every day, it never ceases to amaze me that a train can then be 40 minutes late? I have made this comment before, that I used to consider Thai trains to be punctual, but not any more. The last three trains I have been on were all late in arriving.

I had pre-booked a couple of nights at the Tong Mee House on Soi Raumpown (032-530-725) whilst I was in transit. Of course the tuk-tuk driver wanted a crazy 100 baht to get there. Wasn't far so I walked, and it only took a little over 10 minutes. Nice clean and cozy rooms, with aircon, TV, warm shower, massage available, and in a quiet location. Quick shower then out to eat. Hadn't really formed any pre-conceived ideas of what to expect here. It is very commercial and possesses a great range of eateries of every nationality. Night bazaar and lots of comfort stuff for the homesick expat....Irish bar, pubs, fish & chips etc plenty of bright shiny lights without being overpowering. As expected, it has a multinational feel with German, Scandinavian, and British visitors.

It seemed to also have a thriving go-go bar scene too, although not as brash as Bangkok. A Katoey/Ladyboy show at the Blue Angel seems popular, as the cast were on the street promoting it.

 

Tue 13th Oct - After a late night catching up on the net, I realized that this was the quietest place I had been in for some time. I had slept like a baby. Great shower and then felt alive and ready to attack the day. Well one thing seems very apparent when walking along the waterfront...you don't see much of it! It has been overtaken by pier-based restaurants pushing out into the sea, and obliterating the white sand beneath. One of the piers was interesting as the fishing boats were bringing in their catch. I walked the stretch to the north of the centre and it was deserted apart from a few fishermen. The remnants of the old fishing village are still in evidence. That was nice too see. The narrow pathways with old tumbledown shacks lining them; kids playing ball or simple games; fenced in from the narrow khlong that leads away from the sea. The resorts that line this section of beach were deserted too. Maybe out of season and I guess, would be alive at the weekends as the Bangkokians come to play. It was a nice time to walk on the white sand and reflect on life for a while.

I will be visiting the UK for Christmas and visiting a friend in Spain on the way there for a few days, managed to get the final leg of the flight sorted. The next task will be to sort out the return flight. Looking at options at present but haven't come to any firm conclusions yet.

Back out for a walk, this time to explore the southern area of the town. By the clock tower is the Hua Hin wat. A hall in the grounds was hosting a funeral at 5pm, but people were already arriving from the family. Some ladies in traditional Thai dress were obliging for photos, and one lady spoke some English, so explained to me what was happening. Lunch at the easy going Joy steak and music bar, which did me a nice chicken Penang.

The streets of Hua Hin are awash with Taylors selling 'original' Armani suits and are touting for business as you pass. So many of them it is ludicrous and amazing they can do enough business.

Getting onto the beach seems to be limited to either going through a resort or a path that leads between the two sections of the Sofitel hotel. At the end you are greeted by horses offered for a ride along the beach and to one side a mass of umbrellas and restaurants swallowing up the sand. The southern direction is a bit more open though, and it was comforting to at last get my flip-flops off and tread fine white sand. Plenty of stuff going on...beach volleyball, picnickers, a bar playing dodgy reggae music. Busy, but laid back. I can imagine what this place would be like at weekends. Well at least I could see the sand today!

Had a good evening. Started at a group of bars near the Hilton for some drinks and chat with a group of thai locals and then went to a Karaoke bar until almost 3am. Many foreigners in there who had obviously been a while, as they were singing the thai songs too...very impressive. One thing that got me, and sort of spoiled the evening in a way. I had been with a small group of thais. When we came to leave, they handed me the bill to pay...for all of them. So I had a discussion with them and left them. I hate this. Foreigner = free night out for everyone. They wanted to meet up again tomorrow, but I declined and told them to find another sucker to pay for it. It seems as though Hua Hin is full of retired expats just buying themselves a life with the locals. As long as you spend money on them, they are yours for the evening. This sounds bad to say, but I am getting so tainted these days by the foreigner abuse scam, that it is changing my opinion about this country; beautiful yes, but in this type of place anyway, full of users and abusers. Nice on the surface, but with a hidden agenda underneath. It is hard to find what I would call genuine people if you go to touristy places, as over 90% of the people you meet will be in the same mold I reckon. I have had endless conversations with expats about this on my travels. The conclusion is that it is a fact of life here. If you find someone who you think you can trust...don't let go of them as they are hard to find. Turn your back for 5 seconds and even they will probably be looking at the next guy to walk past. Anyway, enough of the rant for now....

 

Wed 14th Oct - 6 days to go until my visa runs out and have to think carefully what I want to do with it. I am missing Shiera very much, and the strain on us is growing with the separation. Things aren't going that well back in the Philippines after the typhoon Ondoy struck and caused chaos. Work is causing major headaches for Shiera, and poor communications make for difficulties.

After a great breakfast at what I think is the nicest and cheapest place in town at the Crepes & Cruises restaurant on the water front, I thought it would be nice to take a leisurely stroll to the far northern end of town and visit the kings palace. Took me ages in the sweltering heat and got there to find out that the public aren’t allowed in, and cannot see anything from the perimeter fence anyway. So feeling that I had wasted my time a bit, although a nice walk, I consoled myself with a gorgeous Gelato at Da Vinci’s a short walk back from the palace. The lady who runs it speaks great English and I was the only customer, so we chatted for ages about lots of things and I felt thoroughly relaxed and happy afterwards.

I had a wonderful steamed fish in lime and chili for dinner from a restaurant at the end of one of the piers. It was superb quality and washed down with a lovely glass of red wine. Aahhh….

It has been another one of those days for various reasons, and didn’t really get my head around what I was going to do next until late in the day. Thought I may as well move on south tomorrow and try my chances of a visit to Khao Sok National Park. That meant getting to Surat Thani and then working it out from there. Off to the railway station to buy a ticket which cost me 460 Baht leaving at 11:14am aboard train 43 and hopefully arriving at 4:30pm. Only one class of seat (2nd) available.

With that sorted… another Gelato was in order. I usually don’t treat myself so much, but lately I need comfort food!

 

Thu 15th Oct - Breakfast at Crepes & cruises again and then off to the station. The train arrived 45 minutes late, but it didn't matter as whiled away the time chatting. Hua Hin station is a beautifuly restored traditional building, with original trains on display and surrounded by flowers. Had expected a big train to arrive, but it turned out to be only two carriages. A bit of a flurry of activity to get people off and new passengers on in the few minutes allocated for the stop. A meal service was brought around before the train had pulled away from the station.

On balance I liked Hua Hin. It has a mixed appeal, with enough to do for a short while, plenty of places to dine and drink, and good evening entertainment. A little more pricy that I exected. For anyone wanting some tailored clothing it is also an ideal place to come for the golfer, it has some world class courses from what I gather, and it is the lure for many foreigners here.

Pleasant enough journey, arriving in Surat Thani at 5:10pm. Well the stationis actually in Pun Phin, about 14km from the town. As expected and remembered from last time, a throng of touts descended on the train. Had some option and knew that there were many scams to expect. Hopped on a shared sawngthaew for 80 baht which of course dropped me off in Surat Thani town at an office offering services. After a bit of bartering I got a combined price of 650 baht for the aircon minibus leaving tonight plus a bamboo hut fan room in the park. The minibus left at 6pm. With such a rush of events I hadn't the time to sort out food. I was hungry now. It is easy to tell that they are used to this every day as they get stroppy really easily when you challenge anything. Best to not to get stressed with them. I could have stayed the night and gone tomorrow for cheaper. But by the time you add it up it isn't that much different and didn't want to stay in Surat Thani.

Luckily the driver stopped to pick something up and there was a chicken vendor nearby, so picked up half a chicken for 60 baht to munch on the bus. Felt much better after that.

Sometimes you just gotta have faith...

After dropping a few locals off along the way, it was just me and the non-English speaking driver. Arrived at the turning for Khao Sok National Park and his limited English asked where idi I wan to go? The voucher they gave me at the booking office which included the first night's stay, didn't say. All I could remember was that it was in a bamboo hut. With some persuation I got his to ring the office and we worked out it was the Jungle Huts Resort. So of we went with load sof people passing the slip of paper between them, shaking heads and having a discussion. Well I was pleasantly surprised when we got there, as I was to stay in a lovely little hut with fan and hot shower. Late and adrk by now, but all I could hear was the chirruping of the cicadas, croaking of frogs and plenty of jungle noises...really happy that it seems to be ok. Restaurant open until 10pm so able to have a warming curry to eat. The guy that runs it is really good with advice on transport options around the region. They have some tours on offer, but I wasn't sure about the 2,500 Baht price tag. Mountains, canoe rides, caves, large lake and bamboo floating rooms are part of their offerings. Chtted with some other travellers and came to a conclusion to go walkabout in the ourselves tomoro and see what happens.

 

Fri 16th Oct - Up at 8am for a day in the jungle. Breakfast choices weren't that great, so good that I had a few good days in Hua Hin. Had arranged to join withthree Dutch guys for the day and we would do our won thing in the park. Only 10 minutes walk from the Jungle Huts to the park Entrance. Was surprised that the main road is packed with Guest Houses, restaurants and massage places as well as travel agents.

100 baht entrance fee to the park. The visitir centre hands out a good enough map with descriptions of the main features and distances. Two routes covering mainly waterfalls. Due to this being wet season still, both roues came to an end part way with a barrier forbidding going any further until 14th December. The estimated times to these points must be for the extremely slow walker as we made them both inhalf the suggested time. On the first one we attempted to ignore the barrier and go further on and see what happened. Naughty but easy enough to turn back if it got difficult, which it did, so we got to a point and turned back. After 6 hours total walking including a stop for lunch back at the visitor centre, we had done all that was possible to do. The leeches were so annoying. At one point I must have had about 30 of them on me. Disgusting little critters. Had a really nice dip in the fast running river which was actually quite warm. Throught the whole day we didn't see any wildlife at all. Bad time of year for wildlife.

The prices asked for tours are extortionate. 2,500 baht for a couple day tour including food and a night stop on a bamboo raft plus some treks. For what you get, it is too expensive. For what we did today, which wasn't much and followed well organised routes, would have cost 1,200 baht each! For what?

Back at the huts, showered and fresh and time to plan what to do next. Fancied an Elephant trek (800 baht and 2.5hr round trip), but needed an extra person as minimum of 2.

Thought I would find out if any other place could do the elephant trek for me and failed. Seems as though you have to be part of a group to organise it, and nobody would sort it out to let me join, which seemed strange to me. Anyway, the Khao Sok Rainforest Resort, was the most helpful and organised. The Lonely Planet contact number is wrong, and I had tried to contact them previously. Correct numbers...0898276230 and 0772395135). The lady in charge sat with me and went through the detail of what they offered and it was not only better than where I was staying, but cheaper price too.

Interesting..on the way into the resort I spotted a tattoo guy doing a really intricate job on a guys back. Nothing clinical or sterile...just a long needle and the dyes. It was going to take 1 week with 2 hours each day to complete. Three heavily tattooed bikers looked on as the guy had to undergo this without showing any pain.

Whilst having dinner at the rainforest, the owner came and joined me. The business has been running now for 20 years and he was originally from Kho Samui. Not wanting any music to disturb the natural sound of the forest was a nice aim. Being out of season made everywhere very quiet with only nature as accompaniment and the few smiling attentive staff.

Had checked out their tours and found them more informative and better priced than the Jungle huts. Got a few other together and booked a night trek with them for 600 baht each, so rushed back, got changed and out again. The trek was mostly following one of the routes we had been on during the day, but at my request we broke off and went deep into the jungle. Saw a few snakes, plenty of Chameleons, frogs and toads, some nice birds including Kingfishers, bats, Civet cats, Scorpions, Stick insects, Massive Spiders and the usual Leeches that were determined to have a good feed. Lost some blood this evening.

 

Sat 17th Oct - After some thought I am going to change my plan for extending my Thai visa. I was going to attempt the route down the east coast through to Kota Bharu in Malaysia, but there have been warnings of safety problems down there. This is a long standing issue with the Muslim group and I don't need to take risks for the sake of getting a new visa. The easier and safer option is to go to Penang Island where there is a Thai Consulate in Georgetown. Have been before but don't mind that. It is better than going all the way down to Kuala Lumpur, and facing a big city again. Have been there and not too excited about going again.

That sorted, had a nice breakfast at the Thai Herb Restaurant. Lovely presentation of what I ordered, and a beautiful setting surrounded by flowers and with a lovely view of the karst limestone hills behind.

Checked on the travel options with the abundant operators here, and worked out that it should be just as easy to just do each section myself and get the next leg of the journey when I arrive. 200 Baht minivan back to Surat Thani at 9am tomorrow is the first stage.

Now for some serious pampering and a lovely 1hr's oil massage at the Thai Herb for 300 Baht. Nice technique and felt good afterwards. Some research on the net afterwards to prepare for the Malaysian section, and was lucky to catch up with Shiera for a brief time too.

Dinner at the Thai Herb restaurant again. The food here is superb. They do a great range of herbal drinks to sort any of your problems out, even sex! I did think of having six glasses of that one...mmm..

The problem when you only go somewhere for a few days is that you don't get to sample all the eateries and restos. In Khao Sok they are excellent and I will miss the range of food and the lovely environment. The sound of the cicadas and a little quiet music made for a perfect ambience...shame I was on my own. Better shared are these times :-(

 

Sun 18th Oct - After a scrumptious breakfast it was time to move on. I had booked a minibus connection through to Hat Yai but hadn't asked much about the detail. Turned out that it was to go through Krabi to drop of some passengers and I would change bus there. 600 Baht for the whole trip. Everyone with backpacks except me of course. This reinforces my feeling that I stand out even more now. I was also the oldest by 30 years too. The rest were all students on gap years.

The journey to Krabi is beautiful. Limestone karsts line the route giving it that pre-historic feeling. It also made me think that after my short stint in Malaysia, I might return to Thailand this way to spend a few days. Will think more nearer the time.

Got to Krabi minibus interchange at 10:30 and had lunch whilst waiting to leave. Only two of us on the next section going via Trang. They try to sell onward tickets through to Penang the same day, and I could have done it, but wouldn't get there until 9pm. Felt it worth stopping in Hat Yai for the night to break the journey up. Making for an easier and hopefully more casual trip tomorrow during daylight.

The further south you go in Thailand and the emergence of Muslim culture becomes more pronounced. Mosques, women in Muslim clothing, and even the Muslim language on signs, which are now given in three languages. The stopovers offer Muslim food, and prayer rooms. It is confusing to realize you are still in Thailand, although there are still some reminders with the occasional ornate temple.

Got the driver to drop me at the railway station and it was only a few minutes walk from there to the Cathay Guest House. 200 Baht per night for a double bed room with fan, squat toilet and friendly staff. Organized a minibus with them for the trip to Penang tomorrow. Cost 280 Baht and leaving often. I'm taking the 9:30am trip, getting to Penang early to mid afternoon. They also rang ahead and booked me some accommodation at the 75 Traveller's Lodge on Jalan Muntri. Hopefully they will be able to help with my new Thai visa.

Now 4pm and a little time to explore...

Well am I lucky with the timing or what. Walked outside the Cathay and heard something a short way away. Turned out to be a Chinese celebration with street dancers and a dragon snaking its way around the streets with firecrackers going off at random. A long trail of vans carrying people and statues hurtled past in another direction, not sure if that was something else or the same celebration. A short walk from here and spotted a nice Chinese building not on the map. This was a temple that was being used as an assembly hall for a dragon float and some other fancy stuff. The are also has a nice market, which is very different from elsewhere in Thailand. Full of sweet things and my favourite fruit Dates, which you don’t see here generally. I think this is the Muslim influence coming through, complete with a fetish for nuts in many varieties. Women bedecked in colourful scarves, and older ladies in black with only a slit to show off their dark eyes.

Spotted a few foreigners around as well as one who had become a Buddhist monk, in his Ochre robe and sandals. Some other things of note...part way along the Pethkasem road, there was a long stretch of pet fish vendors. Some interesting species in bags, bowls and bottles. The range of stuff available here is dazzling, and shows its cosmopolitan influences.

After all that walking it was time to eat. Only had a sandwich for lunch. ‘The Pubb’ was empty, but ok for a meal ahead of the live music at 9pm.

Went out later for a walk down Thamanoonvithee road, the road leading away from the railway station, and it surprised me how many music pubs and clubs there were. Really good quality. I stopped in a Western Saloon bar where the excellent band played English songs all night. Chatted with a Malaysian group who come over the border for their entertainment as there isn't any of this quality in Malaysia. They spoke really good English, and had their kids with them. One thing they mentioned was how good it was to go into places that weren't full of smoke. Ironic considering that in Malaysian culture, so many people still smoke. I think it will take a very long time before that changes. I have taken a liking to Hat Yai as a place where it would be easy to function for a short while. Plenty of good restaurants with international cuisine, good entertainment, and nice vibe going on, plus good connections to places. The street life was buzzin and felt great to just walk around. It is evident that a small sex industry exists here to cater for the Malay guys mainly, but I was followed a short while by some guys who were trying to sell me a woman for the night. She was stunning, but no thanks.

I noticed a few expats here who looked so miserable, they couldn't even raise a smile when I tried to chat to them. Not sure why, but maybe their life isn't what they wanted it to be as they seemed stuck in their own little world. Maybe it's the border town mentality? Everyone sees so many people passing through, just like a bus station. No time to get to know anyone, so they don't bother.

 

Mon 19th Oct - Off to Malaysia this morning. Got picked up by minivan at 9:15 and first stop was an office the check passports and provide a Malaysian immigration card, then off to the border about 50km away. I was the only non-Asian on the bus, others looked to all be Malaysian.

The Border post at Sadao was easy enough. Not much of a queue leaving Thailand with plenty of booths open. The Malaysian immigration was empty, and flew through there in about 5 minutes. The last time I was here last year, it was a little slower from what I remember. My 1-2-call SIM was still working at the border, but for how long I wasn't sure.

Malaysia is 1hr ahead of Thailand, so have to adjust watches at the border. Now the same as Philippine time. Had completed the border by noon.

A little fiasco about 100 metres after leaving the border when the army stop vehicles for a search. They get searched and baggage scanned at the border, so why do they do this so soon. I have no idea. We did nothing other than our driver handed over a slip of paper and we were on our way again.

Arriving in Penang and the first thing I noticed was that we came in over a suspension bridge. The last time I was here we came from the mainland by ferry? Has that gone now? When was the bridge completed?

For an hour the driver weaved his way through lots of little alleys to drop off the other passengers, and I was the last. Didn’t mind it as I got to see some of Georgetown in the process. I was to stay at the 75 Traveler’s Lodge on Muntri Street. Wow, this area is pretty. Full of character and history. As it turned out, the range of rooms available didn’t include one with a hot shower, and the wi-fi wouldn’t work in the rooms. I ended up in the Star Lodge a short way along the road for 35 ringgits a night and free Wi-Fi that was strong in the rooms.

Two big tasks to sort out straight away. Firstly, to change some Baht into Ringgits. A couple of money changers around the corner offering around 10:1 change, 3000Baht=303 Ringgits. So now I could pay my room bill and the next task, was to submit my passport for a visa extension. I could go to the Thai consulate in person, but for 20 Ringgits the 75 lodge would do it for me. Just filled in the form, gave them 2 photos and 20 Ringgits and would have it returned tomorrow after 4:30pm. So much easier than getting a taxi and having to do the trip twice. Would have cost me 20 Ringgits in taxi fares and the hassle of waiting in lines etc. So much easier this way.

This area looks to be a photographic pleasure land, so will be out and about over the next few days snapping a lot. But will report on that in my next posting...

 

Comments

1

Lovely blog...I'm missing you too..I read the previous blog as well, its really nice..Can't help myself but to count all the girls you bumped around..Gee! anyway, you are very talented. I really think that you should start writing a book. It will be wonderful babe..Uhmnn..can't wait to see and read your first book..And oh!you can make me as a cover model..FREE of charge! haha..You take care of yourself there Mr.O..Distance cant seperate us, coz im with you all the time..Your in my thoughts and heart..Love you..xxx

  Shiera Oct 22, 2009 7:02 PM

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.