Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

So it's back to Philippines then

PHILIPPINES | Wednesday, 5 August 2009 | Views [1224]

Sun 2nd Aug - After my last posting I got really hungry and went for a meal. Wow...superb choice of an Arabic restaurant. This area is one of my favourites for the range of restaurants available. Have to be a bit choosy though, but some really good ones. Didn't bother looking at the menu, just told them what I wanted and off they went. Didn't think to ask the price, so a bit of a shock when the bill turned up. Helps to not fly blind in restaurants sometimes. Fortunately, it was redeemed by being great food.

Whilst I was eating my delicious meal of chicken Byriani, popadums and naan bread washed down with lassi, I was thinking about a few things that occurred after I posted my last Journal. Firstly, at 6pm every day the national anthem is played and everyone stops at the railway station, metro and even the street aerobics in Lumpini park stop. In silence, the residents and any foreigner who does not want to offend, will stop until it has finished. Nice act of patriotism that isn't it? Along the same lines, last night at the theatre, the national anthem was played before the performance as everyone stands. Now, when was the last time I heard the National Anthem played in the UK, or any act of patriotism for that matter. Why not? The British should be proud of the monarchy. The anthem is played in the Philippines too. Some people even know the words!

And on a completely different subject...I am in the Arabic section of Bangkok right now...and one of those thoughts....with all of those women dressed from head to toe in black and only a slit where you can see their beautifully mysterious dark set eyes...how the hell do their husbands tell them apart in a crowd? Imagine a sea of black as I have seen when I visited the middle east. Now that is tricky. Don't take your eyes off her or you are stuffed mate! You might end up taking the wrong wife home!

Viagra. Well isn't that a great little pill. Got it thrust in my hands enough times here. Cialis is a similar drug for those weary after a hard day's bonking and cannot keep it up any longer, or for those who just want to have a hard day! Was tempted to buy, but I don't need it...say no more.

Well on that note, I think I shall move on...hhmmmm....

And there are those damned croaking frogs again. Mentioned them before and the street sellers here have them too. Is there anyone out there without one of those little wooden frogs whose back you scrape with a stick to make them croak? Well. I don't for one. Not actually seen anyone buy one yet. But I bet there are loads who would love to, but are too ashamed to admit it. Go on, you know you want to.

I will miss 7-Eleven when I leave. Make a pilgrimage every day to buy some nice drinks and cool down is the refrigerated box. The heat hits you when you leave.

Michael Jackson...King of Pop...T-Shirts and his music everywhere. So why was the world so ready to knock him off his royal pedestal so easily a year or so ago? The King has left the building for good now, and seems that he is now back to being left alone and adored again, whether he looked like Diana Ross or not, and whether they think his genes were not responsible for the three children he supposed to have had, or whether never never land was or was not where he was supposed to have single handed handled a few children in a not so handy way. Who really knows, and maybe tabloid sensationalism will be the ultimate hangman, he was a bit off the edge of normality, but then again he was in the public eye, so fair game for those with nothing better to do. I think he just missed his childhood as he was forced into a world of recording studios and the pressure of performance after performance by a work concsious family, and wanted to make up for it in his own little world, but the world wouldn't let him. It wanted him to be an example. Anyway...nice T-shirts.

More on-line time and catching up with Shiera at last, then thought I may as well head off to the airport early rather than sweat it out at the Guest House. Doesn't matter how many times you do this, they will always try to rip you off. The bartering begins at 320 Baht plus 50 baht plus 70 baht toll charges, and then he wanted more money to help fill his tank up with gasoline. Just laugh at them and tell them to get stuffed. Then tell them forcefully that it will be no more than 320 baht fully inclusive of everything. Took a while and a couple of different taxi drivers, before I got one to agree. Even on the way there, he was still trying to change the price, so I ignored him and didn't budge from my price. Flanking the expressway to the airport is the new Sky train extension, which I gather from a recent posting of mine will be open by the end of the year. Going to the airport will be fine if you have plenty of time and don't mind lugging your luggage around. Should be easy enough. It will save a dramatic amount in cost if you are on your own of course; maybe not if you are sharing with others. Coming from the airport though will depend on the time of your flight, as I gather that it will shut down at midnight.

So, arrived at the airport shortly after 8:15pm and found my Cebu Pacific check-in area, then waited for the counters to open, not until around 10pm. Time to twiddle thumbs and people watch. So, when this god person designed women...did he deliberately throw hormones into the male species to wreak havoc? Don't you just love airports for people watching...Joke (Shiera)!

Check-in actually opened much earlier than I expected and they did check that I had booked an onward flight from the Philippines in 21 days time. I mention this every time about the stupid immigration rule. Did I tell you that I contacted immigration? I think I did. Anyway, told them I rented a house in the Philippines and had been there as a tourist effectively since last December give or take a few weeks in Indonesia. Asked whether there was a way around this rule of having to by a flight for 21 days time and then cancel it when I extend my visa. Do you know what they said? Sir, it isn't a given right to stay in our country....totally true...couldn't agree more. And we suggest you either marry a Filipino, or employ at least 10 Filipinos and then we will let you stay for a year free of charge. How bloody nice of them I thought. So, in 21 days time if I stay, I will donate 2,530 pesos to their coffers for a further 38 days to bring the total to 59. After that I will donate another whopping 4,800 pesos for the next 2 months as I will have to register as a temporary resident alien. The next two months will cost 2,830 pesos. If you stay any longer than 6 months before going crazy, then it would cost 6,630 pesos. Anyway, as I will be going to the UK in December I will have to plan out the timing of the next few months. The point is that I will be donating money to them to stay, and be allowed to, whether I am married, employer or not. So it comes down to money. So why don't they just give you the option on entry to pay depending on how long you want to stay? I have no flippin idea. Just Beauracracy (Personal note: I must learn how to spell that word as I always have to guess it) I guess.

The Cebu pacific flight is a no-frills flight. Which means no food or drink provided at all. Very important to remember considering I buggered that one up on the way out, and ended up hungry. So even though I was still recovering from the superb and over-filling Arabian dish earlier in the day, and heading for the gastronomic wastelands of the Philippines, it had some fish and chips at the Mango Tree after immigration.

That reminds me of a conversation with a friend from China earlier in the day. First time in a very long time. Without prompting, she told me that her lasting memory of the brief few weeks she spent in the Philippines was...wait for it...crap food! Sorry Philippines...not know for being the Egon Ronay of the food world. The only way to get good food is to cook it yourself. Or pay for an expensive restaurant. Street food...no no no.

So why when a person walks through one of those security scanners at an airport, and it beeps, do they turn around and stare at it in disbelief; look it up and down again and with that frown..What is that going to do?

Why when you go through immigration and there are massive footprints on the floor that say 'Stand here' or 'stand behind the red line'. Do people ignore it and have to told to go back. I know we don't like rules, I certainly don't. But airports are one place where you know you just have to obey like it or not.

Have you ever wanted to lie on your back and go through the x-ray scanner with your bag, so you can pull faces at them and get your skeleton photo for your holiday album? No, well it must just be me then. I must be on one of those moods.

The flight boarded early and left early, less than a fifth full from what I could see. About the least passengers I have ever seen on this size of plane (airbus A320). Nothing much happened as they actually leave you alone on these flights. Late and people want to sleep. Tucked up with a good book that I acquired in Chiang Mai...'Hardship Posting...True tales of Expat misadventure in Asia' by Stuart Lloyd. Very appropriate book for me to read don't you think?

It is one of those laugh out loud books. With so many stories from contributor's true life happenings. I could add a few myself for the next volume, but not sure if it is till going as this book is quite old. Will check on that.

 

Mon 3rd Aug - Arrived in Manila ahead of schedule. 26 degrees and light rain. Felt colder than that. Being early the airport was empty. The taxis right outside of arrivals wanted 480 pesos to get to the Crow bus terminal in Pasay, but go left and it drops to 330 pesos. Nobody will do meter, well not for a foreigner anyway. I know if you are a local it is different. At the crow station straight onto a bus and hit the road south. Cold, grey and yuk is a fairly apt description of Manila this morning.

Driving along the Aguinaldo highway out of the city goes past the fish market where there was much activity as buyers and traders sorted out the day's catch. The thing about Manila, especially in the dank conditions as they are this morning, is that it is an unappetizing breakfast (figuratively speaking). The areas of Bacoor and then Imus do not whet your appetite for excitement, and make me instantly question why I am here and not in a more exotic place; just get me out of here...and I have only just arrived.

Arrived home in Silang after an uneventful journey, albeit a wet one. They actually had an English movie on the bus. Really funny as it seemed to have been made in the era when an acting credential was not required, just an ability to stare at anyone in a scary way. It was one of those king kong style movies with a really beautiful blond haired lady and lots of other ugly people, so she stood out even more.

Wonderful to see my Shiera gain. Straight to bed and didn't surface until around 1pm, so must have been tired.

They did it to me again! For those who have followed my exploits in the Philippines, you may recall I have had my ATM card frozen too many times that I have lost count. Needed cash today of course. Rent to pay, food to buy and all that stuff. And UK they did it again. Card blocked. Damn..sod it, buggers, pain the ass etc etc back onto the  again to get it unblocked. For those that don't know about this...the Philippines is one of those countries that appears almost at the top of the fraudulent list. Any foreign ATM card used here is likely to attract suspicion, especially if you get out the maximum amount allowable in a transaction. So the rule is...don't. So I don't, but it still doesn't make a difference. I regularly have to make 2 trips to the ATM. Once when it is guaranteed it will get blocked, then return home and come back again later to get the money. It happened the day I left for Thailand, and it has happened again today on my return. So fed up with this now, that it is another one of those factors as to whether I could actually live here on a long term basis with this kind of frustration. Ok, so plenty of expats do, but that is a bigger story.

 

Tue 4th Aug - A Monsoon hit during the night and the gales and rain were so heavy we thought the roof would give in. Rises up, then calms down, then rises up again. Eased off a lot by morning and stayed in bed until it seemed safe to get up.

Off to town to get money and fortunately my call to the UK last night had worked, so managed to get some cash from the ATM. Phew....

Off to see Harry Potter tonight. Shiera was desperate to see it and waited until I got back. That was nice.

ok, Bye for now boys and girls

 

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.